Sign in to follow this  
PatrickJr

Christmas Eve Cat

This year I haven't been able to get out and hunt as much as i have in previous years so I've made a point out of going whenever an opportunity arises. The most recent opportunity came on Christmas eve, Steven and I planned to go glass for muleys, coues, and pigs.

We got out there and hiked to a peak, but we didn't see any bucks that were real intriguing. At about 10:30am, I glanced down to the wash 400 yards below me and saw something walking in the bottom. I threw my binos up and immediately could tell this was a BIG bobcat with a really white belly. I watched him for a minute as he disappeared into a mesquite thicket. Once he got in there and didn't come out after a few minutes, i figured he had laid down.

First thing i did was get Steven set up on the trees with his binos and told him to not take his eyes off that thicket (almost as if it was a 120 inch coues hahahaha) . I gathered all my crap and took off down the mountain. I got to the truck and grabbed the rifle, caller, and shooting sticks. I started working over to that thicket, and ended up 55 yards across the canyon from it. I put the call behind me and started playing some sounds. `After 15 minutes or so, the cat still hadn't shown himself. Steven texted and said that the cat was still there and was just watching me. I pulled out my binos to scan the thicket. Through the trees and grass, i was able to make out the cats face and a small part of his neck. One quick shot with my 223 and he was down.

Everyone that I've hunted with knows that I've been trying to get a bobcat for the longest time and they've simply eluded me. For my first bobcat to be one like this, is a gift in itself. He was a big beautiful tom and i have no doubt that he was at the top of the food chain in that area. I've grown a profound respect for these cats and will never look at them the same. He weighed 22lbs

A big thanks to Steven for sacrificing his Xmas Eve morning to glass and sharing another experience with me that I'll never forget!

post-12189-0-37350000-1514350861_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-23651300-1514350893_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-68452000-1514350846_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-77881600-1514350826_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-66344300-1514350882_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Great pics,and story.

• Like 1

Thanks men! It’s still a shock that it worked out

Right on Pat! That is an awesome bobcat! I hope you are going to full mount that bad boy!

I’m trying to pay off my mule deer mount! I will be getting the pelt professionally tanned so I can have it mounted later down the road! He’s going to look so good when he’s lifesized

• Like 1