bigorange

First Coues!

After several years hunting Coues and helping several others get their first deer, I finally connected with my first Coues. Not a great detailed story to tell, but its mine...hunted the same area during my daughters Oct hunt and have hunted there during archery too, so I knew what kind of bucks were in the area. Had only seen spikes and forkies and lots of does until earlier this week when several nicer bucks showed up. Had a couple of those bucks located but couldnt get close enough before they disappeared over the mountain.

Saturday started like other days...made our way to the first glassing spot and seeing lots of groups of does, but no bucks. My buddy spots the buck first but cant see its head...as soon as I get eyes on it I see the antlers and know its a shooter for either of us. 470 yards, which is farther than my buddy wants to shoot. No good spots to get closer since the buck is low on the hill in front of us, so we decide Ill take the shot. Move down to a flatter spot at 435 and get set up...perfect quartering away shot...boom. I see the buck drop in the scope. 6.5 creedmoor I put together for my daughter was money! Glad she let me borrow it. :D

post-5622-0-56057500-1514950212_thumb.jpeg

Pretty easy gutless quartering and pack to the truck...left my buddy there to keep hunting and ran the quarters to processor. Back in time for lunch and delivered a burger and cold beer to my buddy. No more bucks in the afternoon, but tempted to shoot the coyote that found my carcass.

Huge thanks to elkhunter1 for all of his help and advice and recommending this spot for my daughters hunt. It paid off for sure. Also thanks to everyone else who has kept encouraging me through years of tag soup. Big thanks to my buddy for giving me the shot too...payback I guess for when I helped him with his first deer a few years ago. Just got text pics of his buck he shot in the same spot today so we went 2 for 2 on this hunt!

Updating with pics of the 2 bucks together. Maybe the 2 bucks I saw fighting on Wed...that would be cool.

post-5622-0-54313100-1514756029_thumb.jpeg

post-5622-0-45370800-1514756045_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

Nice job on a couple of good bucks!

Those are some nice bucks