IA Born

20 Ga Load Question

My son has a Weatherby SA-08 youth in 20 gauge. We took it out this weekend quail hunting. We didn't see any quail, but he wanted to try and shoot it anyway, so I threw a few rocks for him until we can get to the trap range. That's when I noticed the issue of it not cycling the loads. Spent shells were jamming or the action wasn't cycling back far enough to eject, so it would just reload the spent shell. I had the "light load" valve installed because I knew the Winchester loads (2-3/4", 7-1/2 shot) were light loads, but I didn't expect that. I called Weatherby this morning and found out that his shotgun has a minimum fps requirement of 1300 to cycle rounds properly, even with the light load valve. I don't know if it will ease up after the recommended 100 rd break-in, but until then, I need to find 20 gauge loads that are moving at 1300fps. I don't really want to spend the whole day researching it, so I'm asking you all for help on this one. Does anyone know of any 20ga 2-3/4" loads that will work for quail? I'd like to keep him in the 7-1/2 shot size, but if I need to go to 6, we can do that. Or do I need to get him 3" shells for upland birds to get that 1300fps?

Thanks!

My son has a Weatherby SA-08 youth in 20 gauge. We took it out this weekend quail hunting. We didn't see any quail, but he wanted to try and shoot it anyway, so I threw a few rocks for him until we can get to the trap range. That's when I noticed the issue of it not cycling the loads. Spent shells were jamming or the action wasn't cycling back far enough to eject, so it would just reload the spent shell. I had the "light load" valve installed because I knew the Winchester loads (2-3/4", 7-1/2 shot) were light loads, but I didn't expect that. I called Weatherby this morning and found out that his shotgun has a minimum fps requirement of 1300 to cycle rounds properly, even with the light load valve. I don't know if it will ease up after the recommended 100 rd break-in, but until then, I need to find 20 gauge loads that are moving at 1300fps. I don't really want to spend the whole day researching it, so I'm asking you all for help on this one. Does anyone know of any 20ga 2-3/4" loads that will work for quail? I'd like to keep him in the 7-1/2 shot size, but if I need to go to 6, we can do that. Or do I need to get him 3" shells for upland birds to get that 1300fps?

Thanks!

That stinks since most game loads are 1250.

• Like 1

Thanks!

That stinks since most game loads are 1250.

Exactly! Shortly after posting this, I called Remington and emailed Winchester. Remington suggested three loads, all 6 shot, and Winchester suggested the exact load that DUG posted, plus I found two more on their website after learning how to navigate their ammo selector. I'll have to pick up a box and find the time to test them before going crazy buying several boxes.

Have him shoot 6's for about 200-500 rounds, it should loosen up take him skeet trap or sporting clays shooting with it, if it doesnt then you could have someone work it, deburr and polish it. usually its a spring change but sometimes just wearing/burnishing in all the parts so they slide nice,

I like 7-1/2s for quail as well and I mostly shoot 20's been doing so since 1969 have a few 1100's I do have one crap semi auto that only likes fast loads but I bet I dont have 100 rounds through it in 30 years.

my dads old browning auto 5 12 guage was like that had to shoot heavy loads then about 1-2 years later he shot light loads out of it. but we shot tons of skeet and trap

• Like 2

Have him shoot 6's for about 200-500 rounds, it should loosen up take him skeet trap or sporting clays shooting with it, if it doesnt then you could have someone work it, deburr and polish it. usually its a spring change but sometimes just wearing/burnishing in all the parts so they slide nice,

I like 7-1/2s for quail as well and I mostly shoot 20's been doing so since 1969 have a few 1100's I do have one crap semi auto that only likes fast loads but I bet I dont have 100 rounds through it in 30 years.

my dads old browning auto 5 12 guage was like that had to shoot heavy loads then about 1-2 years later he shot light loads out of it. but we shot tons of skeet and trap

Thanks! My old 1100 magnum 12 won't shoot light 2-3/4" loads through the 30" full choke barrel. I learned that lesson the hard way one year after forgetting to switch from my 30" full (turkey) barrel to my 28" modified (pheasant) barrel. Turned my semiauto 1100 into a bolt action! Between what DUG, Remington, Winchester, and you're suggesting, I think we'll get him squared away. Now to just find a free weekend to head to the trap range!

• Like 1

I started shooting Wichester Xpert steel shot this year so that I wouldn’t get caught with lead while combo duck hunting. They’ve got a 3/4 oz load going out at 1325 FPS. They run very well in my Affinity. I mostly use 7 for dove and 6 for quail. They’re not expensive usually about $65 a case of 250

• Like 1

I started shooting Wichester Xpert steel shot this year so that I wouldn’t get caught with lead while combo duck hunting. They’ve got a 3/4 oz load going out at 1325 FPS. They run very well in my Affinity. I mostly use 7 for dove and 6 for quail. They’re not expensive usually about $65 a case of 250

I was looking at those, too, and wondering. I need to make the switch to nonlead, anyway, so this might be the driver. Its strange, though. I've never heard of a minimum fps to cycle a semiauto. But then I've always shot 1100s (almost all 12s), and haven't dabbled in new upland bird semiauto guns in a long time. I'm not a fan of 870s, so that wasn't really an option from the start.

Thanks!

I was looking at those, too, and wondering. I need to make the switch to nonlead, anyway, so this might be the driver. Its strange, though. I've never heard of a minimum fps to cycle a semiauto. But then I've always shot 1100s (almost all 12s), and haven't dabbled in new upland bird semiauto guns in a long time. I'm not a fan of 870s, so that wasn't really an option from the start.

Thanks!

Steel works great for doves. Go to Shotgunworld and post a question about that gun over there.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/

• Like 1

If I had that gun I would use gold shot.

Right? Its the "Volt", too, so it has green spiderweb paint all over the black stock.

Steel isn't the answer even though its above 1300, especially only 3/4 ounce load- remember its less dense than lead. Shoot the AA super sports with 7/8oz lead @1300, they should have enough pop. If not you'll need to shoot game loads.

• Like 2

Steel isn't the answer even though its above 1300, especially only 3/4 ounce load- remember its less dense than lead. Shoot the AA super sports with 7/8oz lead @1300, they should have enough pop. If not you'll need to shoot game loads.

I'm going to start out with having him try the AA loads. The density is why I've always avoided steel shot, but switching to steel isn't intended to be the fix for this issue, though. Its strictly a professional/personal issue, especially now that I'm the lead biologist for our condor program. Dad always taught me to lead by example and this is a good start, especially for my kids.