PRDATR

Emergency Air Evac

I have native and phi airvac insurance. Bought the family yearly plan.

Where do you travel most? Most of the white mountains will be phi or native. Guardian is based out of Winslow and will help you over that way or even near forest lakes area or hwy 377 towards holbrook.

Being a firefighter up here in northeastern az, don't count on one single helicopter company to come and get you. We use Guardian Air quite a bit, but we also get Native Air, AeroCare, Sunrise Air Ambulance, and Airevac. I can tell you that in an emergency situation, I just tell my dispatchers to contact the closest helicopter for transport. Looks like a nice plan, but it needs to be more universal to multiple companys, not just one.

• Like 2

Being a firefighter up here in northeastern az, don't count on one single helicopter company to come and get you. We use Guardian Air quite a bit, but we also get Native Air, AeroCare, Sunrise Air Ambulance, and Airevac. I can tell you that in an emergency situation, I just tell my dispatchers to contact the closest helicopter for transport. Looks like a nice plan, but it needs to be more universal to multiple companys, not just one.

dcshorthairs is correct, as a firefighter also, those plans are awesome and beneficial if in a hospital to hospital situation within their service area. In a emergency service situation all emergency transportation companies have a CON (certificate of necessity) from the State of Arizona and any one can be dispatched on either rotation or closest to service. The plan would definitely save you a ton of money assuming that air service picked you up from your location, In a emergency situation you will not be able to dictate the provider.

• Like 1

Last year my wife got hurt bad in NM up in a wilderness and had to be life flighted to Albuquerque. PHI charged $63,500 for the 139 mile flight and her health ins. paid all but $350 of it. Saved her life on the flight up to ABQ.

• Like 3

I'm sorry but anything related to medical is disgustingly over priced. 63k? I would love to see the real expenses involved. I broke a toe once and they sent me home with an oversized Velcro bootie. Couldn't have been worth more than $10 but charged $190 for it. Totally disgusting.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but anything related to medical is disgustingly over priced. 63k? I would love to see the real expenses involved. I broke a toe once and they sent me home with an oversized Velcro bootie. Couldn't have been worth more than $10 but charged $190 for it. Totally disgusting.

Absolutely right! The Healthcare industry prices are disgustingly over inflated.

My Dad was hiking with some friends, had a heart attack, and was airlifted to TMC in Tucson. Then he died.

I think that flight was $35 - 40K.? Not sure if Medicare covered any of it.

I was flown from Springerville to Tucson back in 2015 due to a brain bleed. Cost was just under $50k, flight time was just under 50 minutes. $1000 per minute

• Like 1

Absolutely right! The Healthcare industry prices are disgustingly over inflated.

My Dad was hiking with some friends, had a heart attack, and was airlifted to TMC in Tucson. Then he died.

I think that flight was $35 - 40K.? Not sure if Medicare covered any of it.

Sorry about your pops. No wonder no one can afford health insurance

• Like 2

When you are looking at a medical flight you can't just compare cost of the flight to the distance flown. You are not just paying for the flight. You are also paying for the helicopter, the pilot and flight nurses to be on standby 24/7 to make the flight on short notice. it is not cheap, but it is often life saving. I have had to help load 2 individuals onto one of those flights over the years. Both would have died without rapid transport to a hospital.

• Like 1

Many times it's life saving but many times it's not. A lot of time it's a better safe than sorry thing and a lot of people get flown and once they're at the hospital they find they didn't need to be and get mad at the bill. Most people that get flown and find out it saved their life don't care about the price as much. I think the biggest thing of all that you're paying for is you're paying for all the people that are on access and those that don't pay anything at all or don't have insurance.

• Like 3

Many times it's life saving but many times it's not. A lot of time it's a better safe than sorry thing and a lot of people get flown and once they're at the hospital they find they didn't need to be and get mad at the bill. Most people that get flown and find out it saved their life don't care about the price as much. I think the biggest thing of all that you're paying for is you're paying for all the people that are on access and those that don't pay anything at all or don't have insurance.

correct. We have to pay for all the people that dont. Citizens or not. Hospitals dont turn anyone away
  • Like 1