PRDATR

Emergency Air Evac

The chopper ride was $63,500 then she had 3 surgeries over 3 days, spent 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital then spent two more weeks in a big rehab hospital then 8 weeks of rehab 3 times a week at the closest rehab place to us. I am sure that cost was well over a million dollars. The sign at the ABQ hospital said they would not refuse anyone money or no money . I told my wife we should have told them we don’t have Ins... think it would have been cheaper on us.

• Like 1

Many times it's life saving but many times it's not. A lot of time it's a better safe than sorry thing and a lot of people get flown and once they're at the hospital they find they didn't need to be and get mad at the bill. Most people that get flown and find out it saved their life don't care about the price as much. I think the biggest thing of all that you're paying for is you're paying for all the people that are on access and those that don't pay anything at all or don't have insurance.

correct. We have to pay for all the people that dont. Citizens or not. Hospitals dont turn anyone away

Correct we have to pay for all those who are making cash $ and not insured.. You know some of those which are actually doing better than some of us. 😕

Tell ya what after crushing a foot in Pinal mountains and probably 6 hours before I was in E.R. a helicopter ride might have been best since they started talking compartment syndrome and told me to start praying I didnt lose my foot.

• Like 1

The chopper ride was $63,500 then she had 3 surgeries over 3 days, spent 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital then spent two more weeks in a big rehab hospital then 8 weeks of rehab 3 times a week at the closest rehab place to us. I am sure that cost was well over a million dollars. The sign at the ABQ hospital said they would not refuse anyone money or no money . I told my wife we should have told them we dont have Ins... think it would have been cheaper on us.

I don't know what happened but dang glad she made it!!! Scary stuff

Many times it's life saving but many times it's not. A lot of time it's a better safe than sorry thing and a lot of people get flown and once they're at the hospital they find they didn't need to be and get mad at the bill. Most people that get flown and find out it saved their life don't care about the price as much. I think the biggest thing of all that you're paying for is you're paying for all the people that are on access and those that don't pay anything at all or don't have insurance.

correct. We have to pay for all the people that dont. Citizens or not. Hospitals dont turn anyone away
Correct we have to pay for all those who are making cash $ and not insured.. You know some of those which are actually doing better than some of us. 😕

Tell ya what after crushing a foot in Pinal mountains and probably 6 hours before I was in E.R. a helicopter ride might have been best since they started talking compartment syndrome and told me to start praying I didnt lose my foot.

when I broke mine I just left my boot on for two days and kept hunting until the pain overtook me! Thought it was sprained. The 2-3 hour drive out of unit 32 to benson hospital sucked! Then they ruined a good boot with a razor blade and scissors lol.
  • Like 1

When I broke my ankle I was wearing a pair of boots I really liked. They slit the the laces and got the boot off intact. I was very happy about that. When the ankle healed I had trouble with the boots. They had a tall heel and that contributed to my ankle rolling to the side in the direction it was broke when I wore the boots. Apparently I can not wear "high heels" anymore. Gave them to a friend about 5 years ago and he is still using them. At least they didn't go to waste.

DPS also does air ambulance. Ranger. They saved my legs :)

I'm aware of some individuals being lifted out by DPS or Sheriff helicopters. Is there a charge when they do it? If so how does it compare to the non government operations?

300RUM- it was amazing to find out that the rescue was covered by regular taxes. No charge to the patient. Im sure someone here knows how it works. But I was told to tell the taxpayers of the state of AZ thank you. So... thank you!!

Hmmmm 60,000 bucks in the chopper. Lets see Pilot, Copilot and flight nurse for the day $3000. 10000 lbs jet fuel most $5000. Maint. & amortization on bird $6000? that leaves $46000 pure gravy to operator. Anyone have better estimates?