Sign in to follow this  
knothead

Anybody else?

Anybody else love to hunt javelina but hate to kill them? I love being in the desert this time of year breathing in the cool morning air, sitting and glassing for javelina. I have killed enough of them over the years to know that I do not care for the taste of these animals. I have cooked them so many different ways, given the meat to friends and the last 5 or 6 I paid to get processed and donated all the meat to the adobe wildlife center.

I have always described my perfect hunt is to be in a hilltop early in the morning, glassing for a couple hours, locating a herd, putting a stalk on them, drawing back my bow, shooting and then missing. Finally going home with a smile on my face.

I now apply for the HAM hunt and we go out but I mostly glass and look for others. Lately our hunt has turned into more of a horseshoe tournament starting around noon.

By the way, I am the same way about doves. Like to hunt them but don't like to kill them anymore because I don't like the taste.

Anyone else feel the same?

• Like 3

I see your point and tend to feel the same way. Fun hunt that I always enjoy. Taught me a lot about archery hunting and brought some good memories. However, I stopped hunting them because, as a family, we dont like the meat.

• Like 1

I really LOVE chasing them with handguns/archery. Can't remember the last time i had a rifle tag and hunted more than 1 day.

This year I'm hunting with two buddies, both of them have first shot. Unless a tempting shot (long) presents it self for my 28 nosler.

Out right now with my son trying to fill our 3rd tag. Didn't care much for the meat until my neighbor made green chile out of the 3 we shot last year and it was amazing

• Like 1

I love to hunt them and shot my first one in the late 80's with a 223 Contender in 32. Doves and Javelina are two of my favorites and will gladly take any Javelina meat from anyone.

That funny John, cause thats how I describe my perfect hunt! I did that with my muzzleloader two years ago, even had the close miss on video to enjoy, Almost. took its head off with a 50 cal. plus, it kept me from ruining the rest of my day having to bone the little stinker out. I used to take all of mine to Denmark sausage and have chorizo and breakfast sausage made, but they discontinued doing game meat. I haven't found another place that does it on the west side .

Was out yesterday , no pigs, but Mr Murphy was alive and well. Neither my daughter or I bought a deer tag, and we had a young buck that was suicidal, giving us both numerous opportunities to shoot him. It was too bad, since she hasn't shot a deer with her bow yet. Hunted some beautiful country in 20A that I had never been into before. Saw lots of quail, so I will toss the shotgun in the truck next weekend. It is a great time to be in the desert!

• Like 2

Javelina hunting is my favorite. Tons of fun with zero pressure. Lately I have been hunting HAM and rifle to get out.

The times we are successful it all goes to Chorizo. We Love it. So do our friends and family. They are just as excited for our hunts and they do not hunts.

Sadly my 14yo daughter stopped going with me. I was devastated but she is all in for all other hunting.

• Like 2

Javelina hunting is my favorite. Tons of fun with zero pressure. Lately I have been hunting HAM and rifle to get out.

The times we are successful it all goes to Chorizo. We Love it. So do our friends and family. They are just as excited for our hunts and they do not hunts.

Sadly my 14yo daughter stopped going with me. I was devastated but she is all in for all other hunting.

David I know how you feel. My son went though a phase when he no longer wanted to be my hunting buddy but he got back into it eventually and while he can no longer do anything that involves elevation uphill and down we manage to do a few other hunts where it is flat.

Knothead you and and I just have sensitive palates. Unfortunately my taste buds pick up scents of animals. When I eat elk as I'm puting bight of steak in my mouth I'm smelling the urine soaked hide (so I prefer eating late season elk, only 1 of my last early elk (even cow elk) tasted amazing :( when javelina goes into mouth I'm smelling the gland. Even after spending hundreds to have little bit of javi turned to sausage it taste good going down but burps later are like a javelina farted in my mouth. 😲 I think no matter how Well it is prepared the after taste will always damage some of us. L.O.L. I have also turned away from dove.. Love dove hunting but hate eating it till recently! I started freezing then next chilli cook or burger,making time etc I grind dove meat and add in with bison or deer or elk etc. It you must eat what ya kill as I do then this is good way to make it disappear. Javi can be used as burger or chilli meat also. 👍 best burgers I had were made from ground javi with jerk seasoning in them and fresh diced jalapeno and I think cheese then bbq

Btw if donating meat to Adobe don't have it processed they actually prefer it (or did) as natural as possible for animals so take in quartered or possibly whole they often give it to Southwest Wildlife i believe for cats and bear etc..

Sounds like some guys need to carry cameras instead of guns....

I find myself doing that more and more on our predator excursions. I am getting to where I prefer to see other people do the shooting.

• Like 1

When I go Dove hunting I miss on purpose also. I like to shoot behind them in front of them under them over them. It is very enjoyable to shoot up shells.

• Like 3