Sign in to follow this  
apache12

If BC was the same would you use solid copper bullet over lead core

Was wonder what people would choose for a bullet if they wanted to have just one bullet to use for your medium game long range hunting.

It seems the there are higher BC in some of the new lead core bullets like ELD-x and Berger VLD

I was wonder if the lower BC on solid copper bullet kept people away from them as bullet of choice

Of course assuming bullet placement was good

Why would you choose one type over the next?

My thinking was a solid copper may perform better at long range for certain shots like quarter too and smashing through shoulder bone

I am having a BT made soon and want to choose my go to bullet. Again assuming my rifle finds a combination it shoots well

The problem with using solid copper at LR ,is because of the loss of speed, they don't perform properly/expand.

I wounder that too! But I haven't heard of to many long range shots with copper. Only story I know is when Lance's daughter smacked that deer in the Bab i think over 700 yards and dropped it in their tracks. Im sure Lance will chime in and show the bullet recovery. But again I haven't heard of to many stories.

But to answer the question I think I would def try them out for sure if BC is there.

6.5mm 127 LRX @ 3020fpsMV. Shot was 637 yards. 637 yard retained velocity was probbably around 2070fps. 650 was our limit for that bullet. Further out would have used the 140 HVLD for better retained velocity and better SD and expansion.

Smashed onside front shoulder blade, shattered a vertebrae, exited offside shoulder. Deer dropped in his tracks.

Copper bullets need more velocity to expand properly over the lead core bullets. But I still like 1800fps minimum even for a lead core.

I also zapped a muley at 488 pushing a .257" 100 TTSX @ 3650MV. Deer didn't even react at the shot. Bullet travelled about 36" of deer before exiting. Entered neck/shoulder junction, exited offside hip of a hard quartering on deer.

I think copper definitely has it's place, but not in every situation. Same with any bullet type.

• Like 1

One bullet that has my attention is the Federal Edge TLR. Its construction is like the Trophy Bonded Tipped with the polymer tip, solid base, bonded core and but with higher BC. It is shown on page 78 of their 2018 catalog to be available as a component bullet in 270, 7mm, 30cal. The 155gr could be nice for my 28 Nosler when they hit the shelves. it could be a do-all bullet for coues to elk. Some factory loads are out for for 300WSM, 30-06, 308, 300WM.

http://federalpremium.com/downloads/catalog/Federal_Premium_Catalog_2018.pdf