Sign in to follow this  
hunthard

Pack Opinions

Im looking into a new pack and I wanted your opinions. I recently hunted with a guy with a kuiu icon pro 3200 and was impressed with it. I really liked the width of it, it looked great for bow hunting. Also, looked big enough for some shorter backpack hunts as well as I really like the organization of it with its pocket layout. Ive used outdoorsmans and like the strength of the pack but I hate how wide it is and also hate how its pretty much just a stuff sack with compression straps and how you have to undo the compression straps to get to anything. Ive been looking into the kuiu icon pro, mystery ranch Metcalf, and I really want look into Kifaru since everyone raves about them. I looking for a all around pack that I can backpack hunt with, day hunt, isnt too wide, and can access the pack without undoing the whole thing. Anyways wanted to hear some of your experiences and opinions.

Happy with my Kifaru, but be ready to open your wallet.

I know I was looking at those. $500+ for a pack and then another couple hundred in accessories and pockets. Good grief.

Kifaru are great packs, but they to lack the individual pockets that some guys like. You can always add pouches onto them thru the molle system, but most of their packs only have a few compartments. I have been running the 22mag this deer season and it is my favorite pack so far from them. I also have the DT2 and the reckoning if I choose to go on longer trips more than a couple nights. You can not go wrong with a Kifaru. Stone glacier and Exo are a few other packs I'd look at if Kifaru does not fit what you are looking for.

I have a Kuiu icon pro 3200 that is my day pack and 5200 for longer backpack trips. I upgraded from eberlestock and an older external frame pack. In my opinion the Kuiu carries weight very well, but I can't compare to kifaru and some of the others. I have packed out 2 bull elk, a muley buck, and a bear with the kuiu, all heavy loads with great comfort. I looked seriously at the kifaru, stone glacier, and mystery ranch and liked the organization and price of the Kuiu icon pro much better

Im looking into a new pack and I wanted your opinions. I recently hunted with a guy with a kuiu icon pro 3200 and was impressed with it. I really liked the width of it, it looked great for bow hunting. Also, looked big enough for some shorter backpack hunts as well as I really like the organization of it with its pocket layout. Ive used outdoorsmans and like the strength of the pack but I hate how wide it is and also hate how its pretty much just a stuff sack with compression straps and how you have to undo the compression straps to get to anything. Ive been looking into the kuiu icon pro, mystery ranch Metcalf, and I really want look into Kifaru since everyone raves about them. I looking for a all around pack that I can backpack hunt with, day hunt, isnt too wide, and can access the pack without undoing the whole thing. Anyways wanted to hear some of your experiences and opinions.

Ran kuiu for last 8 years. From 1850 to 5200. Switched to Kifaru and haven't looked back. Expensive yes. But worth every penny. Go on Rokslide and you can piece together anything you want. Buy extra bags if you want and just swap out. They have tons of options on pockets also. Watch some videos. You will be glad you did. I run the Woodsman. Good blend of decent day pack while bow hunting or shed hunting. Can be made to backpack of for 3-5 days also. So many options.

• Like 1

I’m like several others on here and tried quite a few different packs and configurations over the years, but never found something that seemed quite right. Finally, last fall, I bit the bullet and bought a Kifaru pack with Reckoning bag. I’ll try to address some of the questions people seem to have about packs and specifically Kifaru’s packs from my perspective.

• First, it was very expensive compared to other packs. But not compared to how much I spent on all the other packs trying to find the ideal less expensive option. I should have just bit the bullet and bought a Kifaru to start, it would have been a lot cheaper.
  • Several people have brought up the lack or organizing pockets. I shared this concern initially until I realized that this is intentional as it allows you to customize your pack with side pouches, pullouts, etc. I will include several pictures below showing how I have my pack set up.
  • If you aren’t ever planning on carrying heavy loads, you probably don’t need a Kifaru pack. But if you are, there probably isn’t a better pack for it.

I currently have my pack set up on stand by in a day pack mode for a light weight high speed chase over a lot of ground. I don't plan to take my spotter and tripod for this, but through them in there for the sake of these pictures. This picture shows the front. I have the guide lid, but don't normally keep it on and would probably only use it for multi day hunts. The pack cinches down small and tight. It probably cinches tighter and is lighter than my old day pack (Badlands 2200). I have 3 belt pouches around the back. A large on either side with a medium in the middle. The large on the right has a couple of extra water bottles, protein bars, and snacks. In the middle is my traditional knife (the Havalon is in the kill kit), headlamp, and extra batteries. The left bough has some cold weather gear (neck gaiter, beanie, gloves, etc.)

post-6408-0-29029500-1515703967_thumb.jpg

This side pocket is where I keep my tripod. It is pretty big (I have my tripod in there with my trekking poles) but cinches down tight. On this side of my waist belt I have my ammo pouch and the Kifaru Gun Bearer. The Gun Bearer if the best carry system I have used. Much better that than a strap pulling at and rubbing my neck all day, and it moves the weight to my hips. I used with my other packs well before I switched to Kifaru.

post-6408-0-39246300-1515703982_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-30525900-1515704008_thumb.jpg

This side pocket holds my 85mm spotter and could hold something much larger. Again, it cinches down pretty tight. I also keep my Nalgene water bottle on the waist of this side.

post-6408-0-95365400-1515703993_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-51681800-1515704017_thumb.jpg

For internal organization, I really like the Kifari pullouts. They are a little pricey and other things might work just as good, but they were a great Christmas present from my wife a year ago. The ones in the picture and that are currently in my pack are my "Kill-Kit", my first aid kit (including leukotape, if you don't know what it is, Google it. It is probably the best thing ever made for preventing blisters) and I'm sure you can figure out what the other items are for.

post-6408-0-03448900-1515704031_thumb.jpg

Everything else I need handy and that I never want to be separated from goes in my AGC bino pouch. Main pouch of course has my binos. Back pocket has tags, licenses, and a pen. Front pocket has my range finder. Bottom pocket has a backup electronics battery, cable, and Phoneskope adapters. Right side has earplugs, matches, a couple of bandaids, and individual pain reliever packets. Left side has game calls.

post-6408-0-87022700-1515704040_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-30845200-1515705707_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the length, but I figured some might find this helpful.

• Like 5

Also, the right Kifaru belt size to order can be a bit confusing for those between size guys like myself. I'm normally a 36-38 in pants, but at the moment am really pushing that 38 and need to drop 20 pounds! I run a size medium Kifaru belt and despite what Kifaru says (they say medium will work for size 34-38) I wouldn't go with a large belt unless you are at least a size 40 if not 42. Unless you are 40+, you probably won't be able to get the large to cinch down as tight as you would like.

I have tried several packs over the years. I have a Kuiu 3200 icon pro for day hunting and light loads. It is one of the most comfortable Packs I have had. Is a great pack for short/ medium day trips.

I bought a outdoorsmans pack a couple years ago for backpack hunts and heavier loads. I was a little concerned with the pack being a little on the heavy side when empty. I got the chance to use it this December backpacking/coues hunting. I was blown away at how well it handle weight. It is very comfortable to wear and when loaded with backpack gear and Deer meat packing out was no problem for me at my age! I used to have a eberlestock just one pack and If I would have put that much weight on it I would be down on my back for 2 weeks after hunt.

I have never tried the kifaru packs but I am sure they are in a league of there own with that price tag. I have heard nothing but good on them. Just wanted to share My positive experience with the outdoorsmans pack.

• Like 1

I have been looking around for a new framed pack off and on myself. For those using Kifaru do the bags come off and reattach to the frame easily? What is the difference between the tactical and hunting frame?

I have been looking around for a new framed pack off and on myself. For those using Kifaru do the bags come off and reattach to the frame easily? What is the difference between the tactical and hunting frame?

I don't know if I would say it is quick and easy, but they are designed to come on and off so you can switch backs. There are a couple of videos on it.

The tactical frame (versus the hunting frame) is a thicker stronger material. I spoke with several representatives at Kifaru as I was on leaning towards the tactical for strength reasons. But each reasured me that the only reason I would want the tactical frame was if I carried extremely heavy weights on a daily basis, like guys who use the back every day for work. But they said that the hunting frame is ideal for the hunter because it is a better frame for what we do (usually light loads of sub 100 pounds, but still does great for the occasional 100+ pound pack out). Seemed like pretty much all of the employees prefer the hunting frame and most of those guys are hard core backwoods hunters.