Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Puerto Penasco Panga 1/2 Day?

My wife and I are headed to Puerto Penasco on a short trip to help build a house with 1Mission. We are going a day early to have some fun and we are planning on doing some 1/2 Day Panga fishing this Friday. What should I expect for species? Other advice? I have been on plenty of 1/2, 3/4 day and up to 2 day on the Pacific and wreck fishing in the Atlantic but have never fished at Rocky Point. Getting fired up!

• Like 2

expect trigger fish and rock/sand bass for 1/2 panga charter. you will probably stay within 10 miles. you will need to go 25+ miles to catch any yellowtail or 40+ miles to catch any really big fish. if you are up for a solid and fun, FULL day. you can drive 100 miles south and fish in Puerto Lobos with Arturo (Arturo's diving and fishing on Facebook). They have been doing very well in close (about 5 miles out) for yellow tail but it will take you 2 hours to drive there and 2 hours back. Leave at 6:00 be on the water by 8:00. Fish until 4:00. on the road by 5:00 after they fillet your fish and back in RP by 7:00.

• Like 2

Thanks! That sounds like fun but one of my compadres is setting this up for us so it is Rocky Point or nada for this trip.

Not that there is anything wrong with those fish! The Triggers kinda taste like LOBSTAH!

• Like 1

Have an awesome time! My wife and I went to 1mission in October and we had a blast. Tons of hard work, but well worth it. Enjoy the food too. We ate in town one night too and had the best beans and tortillas I have ever had in my life!

• Like 1

This is the 10th trip for the group I am going with but will be the 2nd time for us. Only better way to work so hard while having fun is a waterhole project!

go to the Kaffee Haus and Taqueria Los Poblanos. You will not be disappointed with either. Good luck with the fishing. Lots of people LOVE to eat cochito. I ate to much of it as a kid and can not eat it any more. Lots of people use it in civiche. my buddy was watching a cooking show and the chef left the skin on and cooked it on the grill, skin side down. when it was done the meat fell off the skin. we tried it last year and my buddies loved it.

• Like 1

Back from Mexico. Stopped in El Golfo on the way down and had a nice lunch. Continued to PP. Had a great fishing trip. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the fish with my phone but my buddy did so when I get some from him I will share. You guys nailed it. Mostly triggers and bass but a few odd critters thrown in here and there. One called a "mother in law" fish or "boca grande". Had a few of those. I also caught a really skinny little fish that I have no idea what it was. One nice pinto bass was also caught (not by me). Great time for $40 bucks all inclusive! Got windy on the way back in and a little hairy! 10 miles out or so. I would do it again in a heartbeat but hopefully when the water is a bit warmer and more of the bigger fish are ready to bite.

On a different note I was blessed to be a part of building the 700th home in PP by 1Mission! Its awesome to see how God moves people to share the Love of Jesus with others. The family we built for worked right along with us and it was a very moving experience for all involved!

post-2759-0-77119800-1516137261_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-29385700-1516137287_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-27694900-1516137310_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

El Golfo de Santa Clara is at the northern end of the Sea of Cortez due west of Puerto Penasco. It was once just a small fishing village but is also a place for a few gringos and a bunch of Mexicanos from the area to hit the beach. Its about an hour and a half from Yuma. Just under an hour due south from San Luis Rio Colorado.

post-2759-0-63670800-1516159670_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-82395100-1516159761_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-23497900-1516159811_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The problem with planning fishing trips in the Sea of Cortez is in predicting the weather. Trust me, you do not want to be fishing from a panga when the wind gets above 10 mph. Check the forecasts on Windfinder.com. They're pretty accurate. This is an activity that definitely favors retirees like myself. We can go or cancel spur of the moment, and if the wind kicks up while we're down there we can stay ashore and wait it out for a day or so. .

A 5-day trip to the Penasco-Lobos area could be a great time. If you're serious about fishing and can handle another four-hour round trip down to Lobos and back, you'll catch more and bigger fish and a wider species variety. After catching grouper, red snapper and yellowtail, I've come to regard trigger fish as pests that get in my way when I'm after the good stuff. I know people who will take you out for no more than you paid in Rocky Point.

• Like 2