Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Natural

Nosler Prepped Cases

Has anybody here ever checked case neck concentricity on the Nosler "fully prepared" cases? Nosler claims they are "ready to load", but the description only mentions the case necks being chamfered and deburred. I have some brass on the way, and I am just wondering if I should be prepared to do some turning.

I've never trust it with any brand. I always run through the sizing die, trim every piece to the minimum case length, chamfer, deburr, and then load. I want to make sure ever case/round is as close to identical as possible. I have yet to buy new brass where every piece was as identical as I like it to be. But I'm also a little OCD about these things.

I have been very impressed with the Nosler brass and have switched most loads to Nosler. I load and go but with a first loading how much does it matter? I only ask because I only hunt with fired brass that has run the gamut of all the steps. Brass always moves some so I don't chamfer or trim never fired brass. I will tell you I have found no need to trim, chamfer, or deal with flash holes using the Noslers after the first firing and their machining seems every bit as good as Lapua. Quite a few critters falling down dead at over 500yds the last few years with a few different hunters. I group loads based on concentricity with every brand of brass, usually into 3 groupings. long story long, I checked them and weighed them the first couple of boxes and they were more consistent than anything else I have bought.

• Like 1

Nosler seems to be softer than others, for me I dont get that many reloads out of them as I would like. But yes I have found that the thickness of the necks are pretty consistent.

They have been pretty good to me. But now im smarter and don't take chances anymore and prep them anyways

The Nosler brass is made by Norma correct? Does Nosler do any steps after Norma produces it or are they basically on the same level? I use Norma brass in my 28 Nosler, I always full-length resize, and then debuts, chamfer.

Thanks for the replies! However, I am specifically referring to case neck concentricity, or maybe thickness is a better word, on new Nosler "fully prepped" brass. I am wondering if anyone has ever actually measured the variability of the thickness of the metal around the circumference of the case necks, to see if they need to be turned. I have never actually bothered with turning case necks, but have been considering it lately to see if I can tighten up groups in my hunting loads.

Maybe the bigger question is, do any of you bother turning case necks? And have you found that it makes any difference for hunting loads?

short answer: Yes I have checked it and it is very good. Yes I turn necks.

same reason I would pay more for Lapua.

Firstcoues I believe there is additional machining since the necks are chamfered and flash holes machined. I would guess that they may do some sorting as well, strictly anecdotal as it is very consistent checking an entire box. I use this for my 7mm RM and daughters 6.5/284. But exclusively now for the 7mm.

Hunting loads? At less than 5-600 yard, all should be good. I always prep all brass but nosler always seems to be good out of the box. Theres a lot more you can do to tighten groups before you turn necks. Although its not a bad thing.

Theres a lot more you can do to tighten groups before you turn necks.

True, and I have reached a point where turning necks would be the next step in the progression. But eventually, you reach the point of diminishing returns, where the gain compared to the effort is just not worth it. I am debating if turning necks will cross that line. I suppose I will end up forking over the bucks for a gauge and turning tool to find out. :)

I can't help with neck turning on Nosler brass, but it is commendable that you are trying to shrink your groups in order to place your bullets on game. The vital area of a deer at 500 yds. is not that easy to hit with 99% confidence from a field position, with light changing, wind, animal moving and etc. Too many critters end up with their faces blown off, legs broken, gut-shot. They may suffer for days from infection, or be ripped apart by coyotes right up to their last breath.

I do some shooting with guys who are pretty saavy reloaders, and from what they describe, neck turning can open a whole other can of worms, and may not be worth it unless you have a match chamber, in other words, not just SAAMI, but ultra-close tolerances. If you are inclined to do so, watch the youtube videos at www.gunwerks.com, especially the one regarding use of the 0.002" bushing to ensure consistent neck tension. If you use either a bushing which matches your chamber dimensions, or a Lee collet die, you can keep tolerances pretty close without having to resort to neck turning. If you start turning necks without doing a cast of your chamber (or having specs. from a blueprinted chamber) you could lose accuracy.

forepaw

Well, the neck turning I am think of is just to even out the thickness of the neck brass, to only remove any thicker areas (NOT to reduce the overall thickness) in order to make the neck more uniform and concentric, and therefore center the bullet more in relation to the bore. In other words, only remove metal from the high spots, and not from the entire circumference of the neck. The match grade chamber and bushing thing would be way beyond what I am trying to achieve.

I sized my Nosler brass before use. Just a quick run through the sizer and they were good to load. No reason not to take a couple min to run through the sizer die.

I necked turned for a few years. If you ask anyone if neck turning will help, the answer should be I don't know, it will depend on your gun. I would say that all benchrest shooters do, due to their guns being chambered for a tight neck, if their cases aren't turned they won't even go in the chamber. What I found that it was a whole lot of time spent for little rewards. I usually use Lapua brass in my silhouette rifle, and either Rem or Win brass in my hunting rifle. The Lapua brass is expensive but worth it.