My 20 year old son and I would like to hunt Coues deer in 2019. We have a combined 12 points between us (pre 2018 draws). We have never hunted Az for any species. We have successfully hunted elk, mule deer, and antelope throughout the west with bow and rifle. We are from Utah and would like to hunt with our rifles the first time and then follow up later with bow hunts after we get our feet wet hunting them.

My questions for you are:

1- with the multiple season dates, is it worth building and or using our points on a coues hunt? What I mean is, Can we experience a great hunt with lower to no points and use our points elsewhere?

2- what would be the top 3 units to hunt with 7 points? Which season dates would you recommend?

Our goals would be a mature buck. Score is not that important to us. Ability to find animals (deer densities) would be high on our list of importance.

3- are the late hunts worth the time it takes to draw them? If so, what would you recommend as the top 3 late hunt units?

4- are there any good coues season dates that would also allow us to hunt javelina with a realistic chance to harvest both at the same time?

I have more questions, and answers will spawn follow ups. Private messages would be welcomed as an alternative to responding to this post.

Thanks for any and all help on this. If I can help with hunts in Utah I would be happy to return the favor.

Chad

late Nov/early Dec hunt from the left over list in the left over envelope draw. 10 day hunt. cooler weather. not using your 12 points to draw. plenty of opportunity for a mature buck and a fun/memorable time with your son but don't wait until 2019, do it in 2018. good luck

• Like 2

Save your points, hunt them OTC Archery in January or on a leftover tag in November. The OTC archery hunt typically has an archery Javelina hunt going on at the same time. Get your binos mounted on a tripod and glass. Don't worry about units to burn points on right now, just get down here and start glassing.

• Like 2

Here's a suggestion, haul butt over here and hunt a few units 2 days each in January then put in for December as late as possible rifle in one or both those units for 2019

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately this year is not an option... The feedback here and by PM/Phone has been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!

I have a quick bonus points question. If we draw we keep our hunter Ed point and Loyalty point (so long as we have them) for a total of two the following year after we draw. If we miss a year applying we lose the loyalty point. My question is, At what point would we lose all of our points by not applying? Is there a 3, 5, 10 year limit where if you suspend applying that you would lose all of your points?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately this year is not an option... The feedback here and by PM/Phone has been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!

I have a quick bonus points question. If we draw we keep our hunter Ed point and Loyalty point (so long as we have them) for a total of two the following year after we draw. If we miss a year applying we lose the loyalty point. My question is, At what point would we lose all of our points by not applying? Is there a 3, 5, 10 year limit where if you suspend applying that you would lose all of your points?

You lose your bonus points if you fail to apply for 5 straight years.

• Like 1

Hopefully last Az rookie draw question.

Last year we purchased our license and applied on the last day of the draw. It expires this year on the 13th. So, I am assuming that license is valid for the elk draw but I will need to purchase new licenses before the deer draw in June. Is that correct?

Last year we purchased our license and applied on the last day of the draw. It expires this year on the 13th. So, I am assuming that license is valid for the elk draw but I will need to purchase new licenses before the deer draw in June. Is that correct?

Yes according to the regs you must have a valid license thru the deadline to apply but there are plenty of people on this site that say that is BS and you wont get rejected, I personally don't take the chance and always have a valid license when I apply.

• Like 2

Yes it MUST be a valid on the day that the draw closes. Good luck.

• Like 1

late Nov/early Dec hunt from the left over list in the left over envelope draw. 10 day hunt. cooler weather. not using your 12 points to draw. plenty of opportunity for a mature buck and a fun/memorable time with your son but don't wait until 2019, do it in 2018. good luck

This.

• Like 1