Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Garmin Xero Bow Sight

I have mixed feelings. It looks cool and would hopefully improve random arrow flinging. But, and I am sure my comments will likely offend people (any snowflakes in here?), I think this may just be another tool to enable the lazy jackwagons, who don't want to get off their rears to put in time practicing with their bow, learning their equipment, etc., until the weekend before their hunt.

Not an archery hunter, but from what I understand is that it takes a lot of range time and practice to get it dialed in just like any other bow sight. My buddy (who is an archery only guy) said that he thinks the biggest advantage next to active range finding will be the pin placement dialed to the actual yardage vs trying to place between pins will reduce misplaced shots more often...I am not sure but do think it is a cool tech and concept.

I see your points. A lot of my concern relates a lot to what we see in long range shooting anymore. Someone can hit a target with a rifle at a range at 100 yards, so he thinks he only needs to turn the turrets on their scope a bit and they are good to go at 1000 yards.

I see this potentially doing the same thing. Some guy shoots the weekend before his hunt in his backyard at 20 yards, and because this device, assumes he is now good to take ridiculous shots he has never practiced.

you have to set every pin range just as you would with a traditional pin sight... it will max out at the range you have shot and zeroed or that you set as your cap. The big difference is that it uses the data (bow speed/arrow weight) to dial the in between yardages. so between 20 and 30 yards you technically now have a pin for every yard in between

This could be great, or not. Az has already shortened archery hunts when the success rate is above %20 I believe, so if these kind of devices help the rate go up, it’s just a matter of time until we will have a draw for archery tags, and not over the counter anymore.

• Like 1

This could be great, or not. Az has already shortened archery hunts when the success rate is above %20 I believe, so if these kind of devices help the rate go up, it’s just a matter of time until we will have a draw for archery tags, and not over the counter anymore.

Exactly what I was thinking! Just 1 step closer to drawing for archery tags..

While it looks like they are currently legal, I suspect, and hope, they will change the wording in the regs to make this a no-no..

It's a beast of a sight from the looks of it !

guess if you can afford a $1200 dollar bow you can add a $1000 sight.!

I do not know how you can say fewer wounded animals - I suspect more than less.

Archery Skills and Ethical shots make for fewer wounded animals not a sight !

Too many variations on the actual situation involved in taking a shot to say this thing will make a difference !

putting a pin on an animal 80-100+ yrds away doesn't mean a kill shot!

post-3096-0-71332000-1516215042_thumb.jpg

post-3096-0-58346800-1516215054_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I hope they outlaw these. There's already people flinging arrows 100 yards. Dipshits will be taking 150 yard shots now.

I just took a buck at 111 yards and watched him drop 15 yards from where the arrow hit him. It's all about practicing your craft and executing the shot. And if you have done any research on this sight. It will not range a yardage you have not shot and practiced.

• Like 1

Just because you have shot numerous times with this new sight - at a known yardage doesn't mean your proficient.

Is it gonna know if the arrow is actually hitting the spot where it's aimed ?

sure getting confident with your archery skills is going to help when that time comes for a shot - but paper targets don't move -standing at a range isn't even close to hunting in the field.

• Like 1

I do not know how you can say fewer wounded animals - I suspect more than less.

Archery Skills and Ethical shots make for fewer wounded animals not a sight !

Best quote of 2018 so far.... Outside Fair Chase for P&Y and B&C, so your booner will actually not be a booner... Ed F

• Like 1

I hope they outlaw these. There's already people flinging arrows 100 yards. Dipshits will be taking 150 yard shots now.

^^^ How will this be the case when it only ranges non reflective targets out to 100 yds? Do research before commenting. They most likely could have made this thing range to 1000yds if they wanted to. They obviously had the same concerns as yourself. Just ordered my Xero from Ross. In my opinion it just eliminates a step and will account for less wounded animals for sure. If you range a deer at 40 yds draw back and the deer spooks and runs X number of yardage away and turns back broadside, like mule deer often do, you can adjust by the push of a button. Instead of guessing how far he went like 90% of people would do and make a bad shot!

• Like 3

^^^ How will this be the case when it only ranges non reflective targets out to 100 yds? Do research before commenting. They most likely could have made this thing range to 1000yds if they wanted to. They obviously had the same concerns as yourself. Just ordered my Xero from Ross. In my opinion it just eliminates a step and will account for less wounded animals for sure. If you range a deer at 40 yds draw back and the deer spooks and runs X number of yardage away and turns back broadside, like mule deer often do, you can adjust by the push of a button. Instead of guessing how far he went like 90% of people would do and make a bad shot!

Big baller! I'd buy it too. Yeah I saw Ross was already selling it.

A grand for a bow sight! Now I've seen it all. And just so you don't have to be aware of the range? Seems like a whole lot of money to give up a part of the skill/art of hunting with a bow. I'd have a hard time relying on an electronic device that if anything goes wrong,or you run out of batteries,then you can't even shoot. Interesting idea, definitely not for me. I'll be interested to see what people think of it after they've used it for a while though.

I think we can all agree that a bow shot longer then 25 yards or a rifle shot longer then 300 yards without a rangefinder (beyond max point blank range) is not ethical. So that brings us to taking longer shots and using a rangefinder to do it. We are all doing it, this just puts it into one package. I love the idea. If we want to start an argument about whether one should be guessing yardages and not using any ranging technology then thats a whole other thread. I literally will turn around and go home to get my rangefinder if I forget it, not worth risking the loss of an animal over it. I can estimate range as good (or as poor) as anyone but Im not willing to do that and risk wounding an animal.

• Like 1