Sign in to follow this  
AZ RANGER

Alaska Trip Help (updated with trip report pics)

A trip in September can be excellent with the trout gorging on salmon eggs and silvers still running. Moose season is in full swing, reds are done so the crowds have thinned out, but creeks can be blown out from rain for a few days. Fly fishing for trout during this period is primarily drifting beads. Flesh flys and skulpin patterns are effective at times. The Parks Highway streams in the Mat-Su valley are accessible via the Parks Hwy and can be good if one is willing to do some bushwhacking. Willow Creek, Little Willow,Sheep, Montana creeks as well as others cross the Parks Hwy enroute to the Susitna River. Try to obtain a current copy of the Milepost, it has alot of info for the road bound fisherman, there are also a book call Highway Angler that would be helpful. There is some great fishing in the lakes but generally requires a boat. I lived in the Mat-Su valley for 33+years and enjoyed the fishing up there. We moved down to Arizona three years ago but have been back to Alaska for the summers to get my fishing fix. Mostly hunt predators down here.

Alaska is expensive and tough to do on a tight budget. Do your homework and good luck to you and your son if you make to the Greenland.

• Like 2

Well I finally made some solid plans. Spent way more than I wanted to but as most people already mentioned Alaska is really expensive.

I booked a diy flyout trip on the Stuyahok river. Pilot is going to drop me and my son and maybe a buddy and then pick us up down river 6 days later.

Thanks for the responses. Any other advice is still welcome. I need to start shopping for a bear gun. Does anyone have Ruger Alaskan they want to sell? Im thinking 454 Casull.

• Like 1

I have done 27 trips to Alaska to fish. I would fly into Yakutat. Hard to get a room and rental car by now but it is basically 2 rivers the Seatuk and Lost. Drive a few miles from the town and fish from the bank for silvers. Always good in September and you can catch coho salmon up to 20 pounds. A half day halibut trip will fill your coolers there. The Glacier Bear lodge is the best place to stay but you have to secure a rental car or truck to get to the fish. If you are going to do a float trip get good Grundens or Helly Hansen raincoat and a set of good waders. I would see if you can borrow or buy a cheap 12 gage shotgun when you get there for bears. There are plenty of them and they are not like rattlesnakes.

What a trip! Fishing was great! Scenery was amazing! The whole experience was better than I could of expected.

My son did great and loved every minute of it.

post-363-0-51808500-1533518562_thumb.jpeg

post-363-0-19010000-1533518672_thumb.jpeg

post-363-0-89088700-1533518744_thumb.jpeg

post-363-0-83644700-1533518794_thumb.jpeg

post-363-0-77783000-1533520851_thumb.jpeg

post-363-0-08500600-1533520867_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

WOW WOW WWWWOOOOOOWWWW! Awesome looking trip!