Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Found the buck I'm after. Need a little stalk advice.

Hey guys,

I grew up an eastern stand hunter and over the last year I've been getting better at glassing and learning the skill of stalking deer. I've been reading a lot of good stuff oh how to pull off a successful stalk on a Coues buck. The specific problem I'm having is minimizing the crunch from the dry grass and loose gravel that's everywhere on these ridges. I know there are tricks to doing this but I've tried everything I can think of, to include using fleece boot covers to help deaden the sound but no matter how slowly and deliberately I place my feet I can't mitigate that crunch. No matter what I do that sound busts me every time. Yesterday I found the buck I spotted back in September as he was chasing off another buck, thrashing the brush and tending a doe. I lost the light to go after him yesterday but the areas he has staked out allows me to easily get within a hundred yards of him. If I could beat this problem I'll be able to use the manzanitas as cover to get into position for a shot on him. So if anyone has had this same problem and was able to overcome it I would be very appreciative of any tips. Thanks and good luck the rest of the season!

Take your boots off and put on a second pair of socks. Your footprint is smaller and more flexible and you'll move much slower to avoid the crunchies and sharp things. That's the quietest way unless you can fly. Ed F

• Like 1

Take your boots off and put on a second pair of socks. Your footprint is smaller and more flexible and you'll move much slower to avoid the crunchies and sharp things. That's the quietest way unless you can fly. Ed F

This.

And for what it’s worth, your eastern tactics of ambush hunting work just fine out here too. I’ve killed four coues deer with a bow, 3 were ambush hunts.

• Like 2

Cool thanks guys. I'll give the socks trick another try. I never thought about the fact that having that much less rigid area touching the ground would make a big difference but it completely makes sense.

Mattys, for sure. I found a nice choke point with some standing water that I've been setting up on. I finally got a trail camera on it to see just what is coming through and when. I was sitting there when I glassed up that buck. Hoping it pays off.

Move slow. Take a few steps then wait a bit before you take a few more. If you make a little noise moving in this manner you sound much more like another animal wandering slowly through the woods. The sound of something approaching at a steady pace seems to be more alarming to deer.

• Like 2

I agree with the socks. I use merina wool socks and they seem to be dense enough threaded that its not too bad. This year I wore a pair of zero soled shoes. Many manufacturers make them; just look for soles with a lot of flexibility. The pair I tried are Merrell vapor glove 2. Not perfect but pretty darn comfortable.

• Like 1

Hmm more good ideas. Exactly the type of insight I was hoping to get when I posed the question. I've read every article and post on closing the deal on a stalk that I've been able to but the specifics of southern AZ conditions is tough to narrow down. There's so little margin for error closing in on a deer that all those little things you guys are talking about are solid gold. I love hearing your guys' tricks. The help is genuinely appreciated.

For whats its worth....I think Ive been extremely successful spot and stalk archery coues deer mule deer elk and javelina in Arizona. I d guess my average is 10 stalks per kill.

I've got soft feet. I can't do socks, kills my feet and hate stepping on an unknown thorn. I used shoo goo to glue some soft carpet remnants onto some old sneakers. Works well.

I've got soft feet. I can't do socks, kills my feet and hate stepping on an unknown thorn. I used shoo goo to glue some soft carpet remnants onto some old sneakers. Works well.

I would do this or something similar. Cheap pair of payless sneakers or something I don't like the idea of just socks.

Keep us posted, hope you get him

I read somewhere to use scuba booties. Soft neoprene but more resilient to thorns than just socks. I haven't tried it yet, never think about it until I'm barefoot in the middle of a stalk.

• Like 1