Sign in to follow this  
deercrazy

Woman shot at popular shooting area in Buckeye

With JF closed I've had to use Miller- definitely use at your own risk. Stay away from there on weekends and holidays. I've helped on the clean ups they had there - literally tons of trash is left out there - citations need to be issued. Check "Tread LIghtly" for clean up projects if interested in helping.

How do you even clean up a mess that big?? I grew up way out west and Miller Rd. shooting area is a giant mess and has been forever. Once they built that National Guard base in the early 2000's we stopped going but then I'd hear rumors about people still shooting there I guess they were true. On a side note if you Take Miller Rd all the way south till it ends it takes you to these old rock quarry ponds that still holds some good large mouth bass. Dumb asses shoot out there too so be careful.

for all you weekend target shooters in tonto national forest - they have a no shooting zones map

new rules - about what type of targets/ backgrounds are legal - you must pick up your brass / trash

no more shooting at cans or clay pigeons throw out or anything other than a standing type target I just us a box big enough to glue my target on and toss a few small rocks or dirt in the bottom or those toss and shoot balls /something that will not be left behind are ok

biodegradable clay pigeons are legal

Only the following types of approved targets will be allowed during target shooting on the Tonto National Forest:

• Cardboard, and/or cardboard targets with reusable frames (excluding wooden pallets), which are removed from the site after shooting
  • Paper and/or paper targets with reusable frames (excluding wooden pallets), which are removed from the site after shooting
  • Reactive targets designed to move or bounce along the ground when hit, are made of non-metallic materials, and removed from the site after shooting
  • Self-healing targets, which are removed from the site after shooting
  • Metal targets specifically made for firearms. These targets are designed to swing, spin or knock down when struck and are removed from the site after shooting
  • Biodegradable clay targets (clay pigeons)

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD564288

jw

Sounds like a couple of spots near Tucson in the Redington Pass area. Crowded and dangerous. Eventually they were closed, fenced, and posted as no shooting areas. Reportedly the EPA did a soil study and found insanely huge amounts of lead which was the justification used to shut them down.

All this talk of Joe Foss brings back fond memories of a photoshoot I did of him years ago. Super nice guy and so interesting to talk with. Ranks up there with my shoot with Barry Goldwater.

They made such a mess in the white tanks off of Watson road that they closed that area and everyone e that was shooting there moved one exit further out to Miller rd.

It’s such a zoo, I’m honestly amazed nobody has been killed yet. I’ve shot out there 4 or 5 times. After the first time I learned, you get there at sun up and you’ve got about 90 minutes. If you stay any longer you’ll be in the middle of a war zone.

Unfortunately the woman died from her injuries

Ugh, yes she died. VERY sad!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/2018/01/15/24-year-old-kami-gilstrap-dies-after-being-struck-stray-bullet-buckeye/1034092001/

From what the news has said, that chunk of property is BLM land. Sorry to hear that someone has died, but you could see it coming.

All this talk of Joe Foss brings back fond memories of a photoshoot I did of him years ago. Super nice guy and so interesting to talk with. Ranks up there with my shoot with Barry Goldwater.

Is that the Joe Foss who few F4F's at Wake Island in WWII?

OK, It's super rare for me to go on a rant, but here it comes.....

Up early having my coffee and doing a bit of work while watching the news. Just saw a story on this tragedy, along with video. The area shown in the video (with people firing during the news report) did not look at all like any kind of safe firing range. The terrain was gently sloping-up without any kind of solid or clear natural back-stop. Just a gently sloping hill littered with targets, rocks, and creosote.

Be sure of your target and beyond? Um, not at this place..... Who the heck would ever target shoot there??? :wacko: Unbelievable!

S.

• Like 1