Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Vacuum sealers

I got one for Christmas (mid range food saver) Ive wanted one for ever and its awesome! I used a whole roll of bags breaking down a standing rib roast. So bags can get expensive but still quicker than butcher paper and better thanziolock bags. Ill pry still butcher paper game meat though. Might just vac seal the paper wrapped meat.

Double wrap in butcher paper and never had freezer burn. About $25 worth does an elk.

We currently use the Food Saver "game saver" model. I say we because two years ago my gal helped me butcher an elk and she got tired of wrapping meat in freezer paper...a week later I got the game saver:) Primary use is for tuna and I butcher a pig or two every year and have used it on a Coues too. I cant figure out why but I would say 1 in 4 bags just doesn't seal well...I clean the port/get the meat as dry as possible, wait for the unit to cool between seals and have tried diff brands of bags, etc. The unit is just fickle I guess. I am not overly fond of it. 10+ years ago in Oregon I had a basic model Food Saver (plain Jane white) and sealed countless pounds of Salmon and Steelhead...no issues and it worked like a charm. As others have said for Food Savers the basic model might be the best.