Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

Dead head after shedding or antlers sawed off?

I found this dead head and carcass while shed hunting last April. Was wondering if it was a bull that shed it's antlers and then died or if someone either killed or found it dead and then sawed off the individual antlers? The base of sheds are really bumpy/gritty and not so flat/smooth, so I was guessing they might have been sawed off? Any thoughts?

post-6185-0-10076000-1516395718_thumb.jpg

post-6185-0-05690900-1516395726_thumb.jpg

That's what I was thinking. It was pretty close to a main road and probably visible from it. So there's definitely a chance that someone saw it from the road and poached it.

Could have been legally shot, gutless method, and then just take the antlers of a small bull.

Could have been legally shot, but not immediately found. Meat was bad when it was located. Salvaged the antlers only.

But probably neither of the above.

You have the right to remain silent, but since you posted it on the world wide web site anything that you say will be used against you. Is it in your possession now?

• Like 1

Coulda just found it dead and old and cut em off

You have the right to remain silent, but since you posted it on the world wide web site anything that you say will be used against you. Is it in your possession now?

Hahaha. No. I was shed hunting, not skull hunting. It was just a pile of bones scattered about. Didn't take much time to investigate.