Sign in to follow this  
bigsky2

Late Season Archery Hunts - Doable?

I just started applying for elk in AZ last year. This year I had the privilege of going on an early archery hunt and it was an amazing experience. I would love to do a hunt like that again, but I can't imagine putting in for 15-20 years to draw a tag like my dad did. I have been looking pretty hard at the late season archery hunts. Does anyone on here do them? Would a guy that hunts hard for a week have a decent chance of success on one of these hunts? I get to hunt elk every year in my home state so I wouldn't be looking for just any bull. I would be happy to go after 320+ bulls though. I know post rut hunting can be super tough where I live so I'm sure these hunts are no walk in the park. Can anyone give me some info on what these hunts are like? I have been looking at units 1 and 23 but I am open to suggestions on units too.

Id say do 23. U have a realistic chance of drawing with just a point. Ive thought about it myself. The success rates are low but bulls are killed every year. Yes its gonna be tough but doable. It really just depends if u want potentially wait at a minimum 7 years for a early archery tag and thats a minimum or hunt Now without all the ruttting action

So many variables. Weather plays a huge factor. If it's dry, very possible. If there's snow (which is likely) it can be very difficult. Good luck

• Like 1

it kind of depends on your standards.

if you're dead set on killing a monster bull, you better be good.

there's a few guys who can get it done on those late hunts. I've had some heartbreak stories on them, but i've killed some too. nothing big, mind you. but i'd rather have a lousy tag than sit on the couch for 5 years. but that's just me.

• Like 2

I took this bull on a late archery hunt in 23 this last season,not my biggest bull but its nice not having to wait ten years for an early tag.

post-6031-0-20440300-1516680563.jpg

• Like 3

attachicon.gifIMG_20171126_171246016_HDR.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171126_171246016_HDR.jpgI took this bull on a late archery hunt in 23 this last season,not my biggest bull but its nice not having to wait ten years for an early tag.

Nothing wrong with that bull at all!! I would shoot that all day long, way to get it done on the late archery congrats

• Like 1

Doable for sure in just about any unit, I would say the 300 plus is not realistic, it can happen but not realistic. I was on my first Late archery this year and was surprised how good of a hunt it was. Totally different from early hunting.

• Like 2

I never thought about snow, that could definitely make or break the hunt. We get September snow storms up here and it makes it pretty tough to do any sneaking when you are walking on crunchy snow. Do all the units in AZ get snow that hangs around for a long time? I would think typically just the highest elevations would get snow but I am not from there so I have no idea. Maybe there are some units that are better than others as far as being less likely to get snow.

I never thought about snow, that could definitely make or break the hunt. We get September snow storms up here and it makes it pretty tough to do any sneaking when you are walking on crunchy snow. Do all the units in AZ get snow that hangs around for a long time? I would think typically just the highest elevations would get snow but I am not from there so I have no idea. Maybe there are some units that are better than others as far as being less likely to get snow.

1 and 27 can get snow and a lot of it. The past several years there hasn't been much, if any, but it can and does happen. There could be feet of snow or nothing. Depends on what the weather is doing.