Sign in to follow this  
wyodeer

Coues newbie looking for some help

I'm new here, been looking around for a while. Never hunted coues, but plan to in the next few years. I am looking into some of the more northern units with some of the later hunts like 24a and 24b preferably the early December hunts or possibly 21 22 23 and the November hunts they hold. Just looking for some opinions on these hunts and any info I can get as I am very new to coues, never even seen one.

I will also be headed on a little road trip next month with my girlfriend and plan on checking out some of the country down there. I have a good buddy here in Wyoming that is from Mesa and has pointed me towards some good remote country to look at.

I plan on hunting backpack style as that is what I do for big mulies here in Wyoming and would like to be able to have some large rough and remote areas to hunt. Really looking forward to seeing some new country and also some warm weather soon.

Also if anybody needs some info on hunting WY or Idaho hunting I'd be happy to help out.

Thanks

#1 welcome. #2 if your an out of stater the December hunts will be hard to draw, earlier hunts are a little easier. #3 plenty of rough nasty country to hunt which is good because that's where they live. And last if you want to see coues whitetail , go to pine az and drive the roads and you'll see tons of them that you can't hunt. again welcome and good luck. might trade help here for a mulie in wyoming

Thank you sir! Will check out Pine. If anybody else has any ideas on places to see while we are down there I'm all ears.

As far as the draw odds AZ is very confusing. It looks like the late Nov early Dec hunts in 24a and b are really good odds. Are the Early Nov hunts a better draw opportunity?

I go to Wyoming every year to hunt deer and antelope with my buddy that lives in Casper. This year, he is going to come down to hunt Coues with me. We will probably put in for 36B late November/early December. We will be backpacking in. I’ve only hunted it once a few years ago, but there are a lot of deer and really good draw odds. It is beautiful country with a lot of what you describe you are looking for. We will likely plan on spending a week down there. If you want to join us, we may be able to work something out.

Where are you at in Wyoming?

• Like 1

Two things I can suggest for you if you've never seen a couse deer before. One is bring the best optics you can afford and be patient glassing. You can glass a hillside or bowl for an hour and suddenly see one (or part of one) where you had looked 20 times before. The other piece of advice is to study the difference between a mulie and a couse. Be positive and double check the tail (and antler configuration) It can ruin your hunt in a hurry if you make the mistake I made once. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (well, maybe one or two, lol). Hope you find what you're looking for! Best of luck.

did you self report, lol find a resident and put in with them better chance

Thanks for all the info. I am in western Wyoming, Jackson area and am all about hunting big muley bucks.

No worries on the high quality optics and glassing all day, that is what I do here. I pack into areas and will glass for 2 days from one or two vantage points.

Also I'm not too worried about species identification, but I will be sure before shooting

• Like 1

I am also curious if anyone could point us towards some good cliff dwellings around Flagstaff to check out. Would really like to see some of that stuff while there.

I don't know of dwelling near flag or anything really that would outdo Wyoming but in coues country there is tonto natural bridge and tonto national monument that would be fun hike for you guys and put you right in coues country.

When your coming down shoot me a message and it's possible we could do lunch and help you out up that way.

I have one other hike in ruin up there but not open forum type spot.

I am also curious if anyone could point us towards some good cliff dwellings around Flagstaff to check out. Would really like to see some of that stuff while there.

There are the Walnut Canyon and Montezuma Castle national monuments near Flag. of course there is Mesa Verde Nat Park near Cortez CO on your drive down. You can hike down into Navajo Nat Monument near Kayenta. There are small ruins tucked in the side canyons west of Sedona.

• Like 3

I lived in Jackson for 13 years and still work there. That is where my heart is.

I don't know coues. Trying to learn. Heck, just trying to learn everything about AZ. But if you want, shoot me a message and we can get together down here or next time I'm up in Jackson.

I just finished my first coues hunt in AZ so I'm far from a pro but would love to throw in my two cents. I mainly hunted unit 33 but also spent a couple of days further north in unit 23. The biggest difference I noticed from where I hunted between the two was the cover. 33 was much more open country where as 23 was thick with manzanita often 8 feet tall. I backpacked 5-6 miles into 23's Sierra Ancha wilderness. I found lots of deer there around 5000 to 5800 feet in elevation. Deer would be out in the open for easy glassing in the morning until 10:30ish then much tougher to find the rest of the day. I'm telling you now, you will be hooked. It's an incredibly fun hunt and I seriously can't wait to get back next season.

Other than the obvious differences in antlers and the tail Coues stand about 36" at the shoulder and about 36" from chest to butt.