BowNut

Area in 24b could be closing

I got this on my truck while in 24b today. Game and fish had told me about this last year while I was hunting. Had no idea it was such a huge area.

post-1013-0-36615800-1517019839_thumb.jpg

post-1013-0-80129800-1517020207_thumb.jpg

We need jobs, and we need to source American materials, but this sucks.

They are going to mine at oak flats. This is where they want to dump the tailings from that.

• Like 2

It will be the tailing dump for the Magma #9 & #10 shafts above Oak Flat. The material will be brought up from around 6000 ft underground. The tailing pile could theoretically reach the size of Picketpost mountain.

yep, and pinto valley mine (pinto creek) is next. The mine already bought out the rancher and has plans to close it to. So all you road hunters get some backpacks and leave your side by sides at home and prepare to walk into the superstion wilderness. :D

McCain helped get this pushed through by letting the mine trade little parcels of private land scattered all over the state for this big chunk of public land. Superior town officials were against it but McCain didnt care. It was an election year. Chrony capitalism.

• Like 1

yep, and pinto valley mine (pinto creek) is next. The mine already bought out the rancher and has plans to close it to. So all you road hunters get some backpacks and leave your side by sides at home and prepare to walk into the superstion wilderness. :D

So will we still be able to access that area driving through the mine and across the little bridge and to the west into the old homestead ruins?

I was born and raised in Kearny, the son of a mining engineer. The topic of mining and the impact it has on recreation is always interesting to me. Should have heard my old man rail against the EPA back in the day! :lol: At the Ray pit, mountains of overburden sit on top of many of the canyons and washes where we used to chase muleys and quail. Was always glad I lived up wind of the tailings and smelter in Hayden.

Sometimes I'm sad to see it, but overall the impact of mining seems to be quite small compared to how much land we have to hunt here in AZ. Fortunately or unfortunately, the world is hungry for copper and that area of our state is rich with it! (Too bad a local company can't be the one to exploit it.....)

Progress? Who knows....

S.

• Like 1