Sign in to follow this  
Trapdoor

I hate to ask for help, but...

This is my son's first hunt (tag), other than going along with me the past couple years. While he has been very slow to show any real interest in hunting, he very much wants a javelina and I hope that his first harvest will make the difference and solidify his future in our life. I thought that I had a solid plan put together for his first tag, but things aren't shaping up and I fear that if I don't actually show him a javelina again this year, the spark will fade.

His tag is good for 10,17A,17B,18A,19A,19B,20A and we have been hunting 19B in the hills NW of Chino Valley. We live in these hills and see plenty of javelina and I've had the ability to do some scouting here. But the plan ain't working.

I know there are lots of lessons to learn on the days where game isn't seen and he is learning those lesson with words from Dad. But, I sure want him to see a javelina and have an opportunity to put a stalk on. We are looking high and low, on sunlit hillsides, and shaded hillsides, grass covered flats and down in the washes, morning, afternoon, and evening.

It's hard for me to ask for help, but can anyone offer any thoughts on how to find a javelina for my son? Like I say, I thought I had a solid plan on a good high vantage point with miles to look over. Am I just missing the boat on what I need to be looking at?

Thanks for any encouragement!

Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't help with specific locations in those units, but I prefer to get glass on south facing terrain in the mornings and travel parallel to cool washes with the wind in your favor once it warms up.

Keep the wind in your favor and get in close!! There is a great opportunity to become part of the herd. Even if they bump, a herd large enough will scatter and regroup, creating more action than your son had ever imagined.

Wish you were in one of my units..

Unfortunately I don't know those area's either. I can tell you that a majority of people have been saying the pigs are acting very different this year due to the warmer temperatures. It seems the pigs are not moving up on the hill in the early mornings like they typically do. My recommendation would be to spend more time in the washes and lower hills. I've also been told my a lot of people that they are seeing more pigs in the afternoon this year than any other year.

Sorry, I also have no knowledge of those areas, but will add what we have learned. Our "prime times" for seeing pigs this time of year, and especially this year, tends to be in the 9:00 AM- 10:30 AM window. They don't seem to like to get up and move around until it gets a little warmer and then they like to get in the sun (east and south east slopes are good). Then we usually find them bedding around 11:00. Look for piled up lumps that could easily be mistaken for rocks in the shade up and under trees. Then again around 4:00 PM till dark they tend be get active and moving again.

Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help. It took my son and I several years without success to get them figured out, each time getting a little closer. But once we broke through we have had back to back to back successful hunts.

I'm unfamiliar with those units as well but stick with it. Those pigs are out there somewhere. My son is still trying to fill his tag too. Best of luck to you though hope you guys see some action

Call me and I'll tell you exactly where to go. My daughter's tagged out near you. I'll pm you my phone number. Also, I saw no mid day pigs, real early and real late... Ed F

• Like 2

It's great to hear that I am doing things correctly, at least generally speaking! That's all I hoped for!

I can't wait for the excitement to start when he sees one for the first time that he can go after! It's hard to keep a young'un motivated. It's hard for him to accept that they are there like I tell him over and over, that it just takes time but when you see that first one everything changes.

He won't be able to hunt a couple evenings this week but I hope to get up there and glass for him.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Very true... At the end of the day we hadn't seen a pig since we killed that morning. I pulled up to a spot I've seen them before and I saw a truck there. The guy said he's been hunting hard all day and hasn't seen anything. He left, I put up the 15's and spotted a group a mile out. She killed one 30 minutes later. They are where you find them... Ed F

• Like 1

Yep, literally in my yard right now! So much for not seeing anything this season! Maybe I can chase them to where we hunt and keep them herded up till this evening... Lol!

• Like 2