Sign in to follow this  
Huntermichael

Feral Hogs in California

Greetings:

I hope to find everyone doing well, and thanks in advance for reading this thread.

I've got a buddy in LA area new to hunting. He had his first ever hunt (archery deer in california) last year which was unsuccessful. I had him put in for Javelina in AZ this year and he drew. We filled 3/4 tags from one herd on our third day hunting and I'm very happy to have helped my buddy, a new hunter, successfully harvest his first animal, especially archery harvest.

On topic - He has a ton of interest in pursuing hogs in Cali and would like to take me out there to hunt them as well. I've been doing my best to give him general advice about hunting hogs. The basics like using maps to stay on public land, looking for sign, feral hog patterns (based on what i've seen on hunting shows) etc. He tells me that theres a big problem with these hogs in the wine country. My first instinct is to tell him to make cold calls to properties and see if anyone has a problem that he can assist with.

Moral of the story - I don't know the first thing about california, but at the very least I'd really like to get him a starting point on where to "LOOK" for some hogs.

What do you all recommend? Seeking permission on private land? Hunting public land on the outskirts of private land? Could really use anyone's advice on where or how to even start looking for suitable places that we might be able to hunt hogs.

Not asking for GPS coords or anything specific. Just a starting point of where or how to begin looking for an area that we could hunt.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing back from you all

Hunter

I don't want to be a pessimist.... but if you are thinking about asking for permission about pig hunting on private land in California.... hundreds have asked before you. California has been a "pay to play" for pig hunting. Tejon ranch used to be $250 for a weekend... now it's $750. Sorry for the doom... good luck. Ed F

• Like 1

Google - Lake Sonoma Archery Feral Pig Hunt ...open through March 25 wish I had time but have to pay the bills.

Thank you all for the input.

Azdiamondheat - :D :D :D

Ed F - my initial assumption was exactly as you said. Either a property owner hasn't been asked for permission and they aren't quite sure how to respond (unlikely) or they have been asked enough times to realize they can generate revenue from hunters - supply and demand. (most likely)

I do assume that most access to feral hog hunting in California is on private land. Which brings me to the question, is there even opportunity to hunt hogs on public land? I would assume yes but with limited opportunity in specific regions. As mentioned before, I have not hunted in California and have only heard stories from those who have.

AZ23 - Found the website. Looks like a great deal! Couldn't ask for any better response. Passed along the info to my buddy and we both greatly appreciate the help. Any chance you might know any details about the hunt? I've heard there is a high density of pigs in the sonoma area. Have you been on this hunt before or do you know if there is good opportunity for success?

Sorry I don't know much. This is on my post retirement list for next year.

I prefer not to pay access fee if I can avoid it

• Like 1