Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

22-250AI Build

I'm looking to do the same does anyone have a reamer that is set up for big bullets or know were I could get one

Take a look at the 75 gr Swift scirocco. I have been thinking of building a fast twist 22-250 for some, a standard not the AI. Sweet

• Like 1

Take a look at the 75 gr Swift scirocco. I have been thinking of building a fast twist 22-250 for some, a standard not the AI. Sweet

probably be a good choice for deer and hogs!

I was really excited several years back when I thought I had found the ultimate long (ish) range .224 hunting bullet in the 75 gr Scirocco. They shot pretty well but would copper foul the barrel so bad it was insane. Accuracy dropping off inside 50 shots until it was scrubbed clean again. It was the worst fouling I have ever experienced. I wonder if they have adjusted the alloy since?

probably be a good choice for deer and hogs!

Here are a few reviews from midway USA

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101055988/swift-scirocco-2-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-75-grain-bonded-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100

I've had experience with both the 22/250AI and the 6mmAI. Both had feeding problems with feeding that big square 40 degree shoulder cartridge. I found that a long action worked better for both cartridges and shooting single shot eliminated those feeding problems. I would give the 6mmAI the edge especially if you're going to shoot the 90's. The slow burning powders needed to propel those long heavy bullets really take up the volume in the case. A 7 twist is what I shot with the 90 grain Bergers. Be sure the reamer has the necessary throat length to shoot heavys otherwise you'll be sinking those long bullets way past the shoulder/neck junction and occupying valuable powder capacity. I used a reamer in both with a .120" freebore. Krieger still buys the best barrel steel on the market so I would choose their barrel over the other two. Having shot many years out of a south Texas blind, I never found a need for a repeater. A single shot always did the job!

• Like 1

I've had experience with both the 22/250AI and the 6mmAI. Both had feeding problems with feeding that big square 40 degree shoulder cartridge. I found that a long action worked better for both cartridges and shooting single shot eliminated those feeding problems. I would give the 6mmAI the edge especially if you're going to shoot the 90's. The slow burning powders needed to propel those long heavy bullets really take up the volume in the case. A 7 twist is what I shot with the 90 grain Bergers. Be sure the reamer has the necessary throat length to shoot heavys otherwise you'll be sinking those long bullets way past the shoulder/neck junction and occupying valuable powder capacity. I used a reamer in both with a .120" freebore. Krieger still buys the best barrel steel on the market so I would choose their barrel over the other two. Having shot many years out of a south Texas blind, I never found a need for a repeater. A single shot always did the job!

Do you have a copy of the print you could email to me?

What rifle / action / magazine combo were you using when you had feeding problems? Did you try any aftermarket followers? My RUM was finicky but a Wyatt's follower solved the problem.

DSE or Big/Bust did you guys have specifics on your chamber set up in your 22-250ai??

Also-- a lot of this is new to me when it comes to these fine details so I appreciate the help.

Do you have a copy of the print you could email to me?

What rifle / action / magazine combo were you using when you had feeding problems? Did you try any aftermarket followers? My RUM was finicky but a Wyatt's follower solved the problem.

DSE or Big/Bust did you guys have specifics on your chamber set up in your 22-250ai??

I have built a few 700 chambered for AI cartridges. The feeding problem relates to the magazine but the cause might not be something you expect. My first attempts to correct it were various adjustments to the feed lips. There was some improvement but it was still unreliable. Then I caught on. By forming the case to Ackley I had removed most of the taper from the case but the magazine body still had taper. This combination allowed the cartridges in the magazine to pivot off each other kind of like a see saw and cause erratic feeding. I spread the back of the magazine and filed the edges of the joint to reduce the back dimension of the magazine then bent the tabs out so it would still fit tight in the action. I took the magazine down to 0.010 taper on the body. With this modification to the magazine I can reliably cycle 7mm-08AI through the rifle as fast as I can cycle the bolt. I do expect the smaller the neck diameter is in proportion to the case body the harder it will be to get the rifle tuned to cycle reliably.

• Like 2

I have taken a coues with a .223 firing a 64 gr softpoint and it worked just fine so a 22-250 should definately work. Years ago we always used to pick up leftover deer tags down south. There was a heard that always hung out on a thick oak and juniper hillside. We just couldn't seem to get them working cross canyon. I grabbed an AR-15 carbine, headed across the canyon and began still hunting the game trails. 1 shot later I came back with a buck over my shoulder. This was when I was young, stupid, full of energy and would actually carry a whole deer out. I have learned better methods since then.

Mine was a Savage model 11 vt, a heavy barrel model only available from Dick's sporting goods. I had just bought it for a cheap coyote killer and hadn't intended to build on it but when I sighted it in I discovered it had a bent barrel. Ratter than dealing with Savage I decided I should just fix it up the way I wanted it anyway.

I ordered a m40 Bell & Carlson, and a Douglas air gauge 26" 1/7 twist rem varmint contour barrel. Rather than deal with the feeding issues mentioned above I ordered several Savage magazines intended for a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor and 22-250 Ai have identical case taper and just a few degrees difference in shoulder angle. Just switched magazines when going from fire forming loads to AI loads and never had any issues.

Don't remember how the rifle was throated but I know a 53gr V-Max could still be seated into the lands for fire forming. The pic I've attached is a 80 gr Berger VLD seated .005 off the lands next to a 55 gr Hornady factory 22-250 load.post-8228-0-28152400-1517692519_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Mine was a Savage model 11 vt, a heavy barrel model only available from Dick's sporting goods. I had just bought it for a cheap coyote killer and hadn't intended to build on it but when I sighted it in I discovered it had a bent barrel. Ratter than dealing with Savage I decided I should just fix it up the way I wanted it anyway.

I ordered a m40 Bell & Carlson, and a Douglas air gauge 26" 1/7 twist rem varmint contour barrel. Rather than deal with the feeding issues mentioned above I ordered several Savage magazines intended for a 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor and 22-250 Ai have identical case taper and just a few degrees difference in shoulder angle. Just switched magazines when going from fire forming loads to AI loads and never had any issues.

Don't remember how the rifle was throated but I know a 53gr V-Max could still be seated into the lands for fire forming. The pic I've attached is a 80 gr Berger VLD seated .005 off the lands next to a 55 gr Hornady factory 22-250 load.attachicon.gifIMG_20160921_165541017.jpg

What velocities were you getting if you don't mind me asking.

Don't remember how the rifle was throated but I know a 53gr V-Max could still be seated into the lands for fire forming. The pic I've attached is a 80 gr Berger VLD seated .005 off the lands next to a 55 gr Hornady factory 22-250 load.attachicon.gifIMG_20160921_165541017.jpg

What velocities were you getting if you don't mind me asking.

3420 fps from the 80 gr Berger.

A fire forming load with the 53 gr V-Max@ 3550 fps that shot within 1/2 of poi as the 80 gr Berger.

Then a full power 53 gr v-max @ 4200 fps