CouesPursuit

In the spirit of fishing season.. Osprey

Everyone once in a while I come across something fascinating about wildlife that I just have to share with someone. I've watched countless Osprey nail trout and bass across the state, but this video really put their tactics into perspective.

https://youtu.be/nA3LtXnNIto

• Like 2

Amazing birds and great footage. I spent a high school summer ('86) as a volunteer recording the species of fish the brought back to the nest after fishing on Flathead Lake, MT. One of the best summers of my life. So beautiful up there (in the summer at least).

• Like 1

I never get tired of watching osprey fish. My luck is always such that I take my kids out fishing the local trout lakes, we don't get any bites, and then an osprey dives and nails one 40 yards from us!

• Like 2

I have many fond memories of Ospreys, most occurring here in AZ. Two tops are the dog fights they get into at Woods Canyon with the migratory Bald Eagles and the Nesting pair I watched snatching giant bullfrogs out of Whitehorse Lake as a kid.

• Like 1

I have many fond memories of Ospreys, most occurring here in AZ. Two tops are the dog fights they get into at Woods Canyon with the migratory Bald Eagles and the Nesting pair I watched snatching giant bullfrogs out of Whitehorse Lake as a kid.

Ospreys and eagles are fun to watch together. I've seen eagle try to scavenge an Osprey's hard work and once that Osprey gets that fish straight it burns the eagle. Great stuff. Woods Canyon has my fondest memories of that!

Also, I know you noticed the title. You're going to be getting a call for crappie soon. Have good reports coming my way..

i never told anybody about this because no one would believe me. I watched an eagle and an osprey fight over a bullhead catfish. Usually the eagle would make the osprey drop the fish and swoop down and catch it out of the air. I've Seen this several times at reservation lake. After some evasive maneuvers the osprey fought back and they grasped each other with their claws/talons. The Sound I imagine sounded like a motorless WWI dog fight. After few/several seconds the osprey dropped the bullhead and let go of the eagle, each going their separate ways. The bullhead falls about 20 feet to the side of me and I noticed it was still alive. I put it back in the water and resuscitate after 30 seconds or maybe a minute it swims off.

In 2011,when I was in Montana driving next to Hebgen lake, I saw a Trout slide across the Highway. I looked up, and 2 Eagles were fighting for the fish, and one of then had dropped it.

I was thinking to myself, that only in Montana does it rain Trout

Awesome video very cool to see. Wife and I were sitting out in our yard a few weekends ago drinking coffee and watching the crows fly around when this giant shadow passed over us. We look up and there’s a bald eagle circling right over our yard! Love those birds of prey!

Awesome video. I love the way the bird holds the fish for best aredynamics.

Woods Canyon Lake. I saw an Osprey pull a trout out of the water from across the lake. The eagle roosting above me took off across the lake like a bat out of,heck. The osprey had no idea it was there until it was about 40 feet away and just before the eagle made physical contact it dropped the fish.

It was eye opening to see how much bigger the eagle actually was when they were within feet of each other.