Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Big Bo permit

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Big Bo permit. Ridiculous amount of goats all over the ranch.

Ill keep that in mind for next year....24 points didnt get me a tag this year

What is the maximum number of bonus points for antelope? I have 19 and was wondering how many it will take to get a rifle tag for one of the top units.

What is the maximum number of bonus points for antelope? I have 19 and was wondering how many it will take to get a rifle tag for one of the top units.

I think it was 27 going into this year, may be 28 now?

It took me 29 years to draw my sheep tag. Looks like it I might have to wait just as long for an antelope tag. Thanks for the info!

The Big BLOW is a money grab. BOYCOTT them. G&F should capture our animals and relocate.

• Like 2

so if they were killing 86s and telling people turn tags in, what size were they hoping to get

According to my records I show 8 bucks taken last year in Unit 10 over 80 inches out of 170 tags and only 1 over 85 (maybe 2). For comparison, in 2016 I show 32 bucks over 80 inches and 7 over 85. That's a huge difference in quality from one year to the next even if I missed a few bucks. And 2015 was similar to 2016.

In 2015 we guided to 4 bucks in Unit 10:

In 2016 we guided to 3 bucks in Unit 10:
What the numbers don't show is that 3 of the bucks we killed in 2015 were our backup bucks! It's tough to outmaneuver a crowd of 100 people on that rifle hunt and if you don't have a lot of great backup bucks your hunt could turn south pretty quickly. Last year the backup bucks were much smaller overall than previous years so we chose to wait another year with our hunter.
  • Like 3

I went on the Antelope hunt last year on the Big Bo, everyone that assisted had to have the $80 permit. We were checked by the WM for unit 10 and if you don't have that permit its a trespassing ticket. He said the ranch was redoing the agreement in December and I said it would probably now cost a $100 a person and he said he had know idea what would happen. Personally I wasn't that impressed last year with the Goats I seen but to each their own.

Thanks. They have the price list out and its still $80 for an assistant permit. Ive heard last year wasnt great in 10, biggest buck was around 86. Supposed to be similar this year. Ive point guarded my application so if i draw it and dont find a few I like i can turn it back in.
I don't know about the other bucks killed but if 86 inchers were dying I wouldnt classify that as "not very good" that's comparable to a 390-395 bull being killed.
This must be a REAL trophy hunter, lol!

so if they were killing 86s and telling people turn tags in, what size were they hoping to get

According to my records I show 8 bucks taken last year in Unit 10 over 80 inches out of 170 tags and only 1 over 85 (maybe 2). For comparison, in 2016 I show 32 bucks over 80 inches and 7 over 85. That's a huge difference in quality from one year to the next even if I missed a few bucks. And 2015 was similar to 2016.

In 2015 we guided to 4 bucks in Unit 10:

In 2016 we guided to 3 bucks in Unit 10:

What the numbers don't show is that 3 of the bucks we killed in 2015 were our backup bucks! It's tough to outmaneuver a crowd of 100 people on that rifle hunt and if you don't have a lot of great backup bucks your hunt could turn south pretty quickly. Last year the backup bucks were much smaller overall than previous years so we chose to wait another year with our hunter.

Do you personally agree unit 10 can handle that many tags year after year? I know there are a lot of antelope but I'd imagine that many bucks dying year after year quality was bound to drop pretty quickly isn't it? Is that what's finally happening?

100 tags was too many. Unit 10 is a major trophy unit. That means most hunters are trying to kill big bucks or hiring guides to help them do it. Because of that most of the bucks taken are the best bucks out there. That happened for 2 years in a row in 2015 and 2016. The consequences started to show up last year. The great thing about antelope is that they can rebound quickly because they peak so early. If the 2 year olds survived last season Unit 10 could rebound as early as this year.

• Like 1

Eli, always like reading your input on units. As a NR sitting on 22 points I hope I can get a tag in a few years in one of the top units.

Bill

I was lucky and drew my first lope tag with 15 points,back up to 11 now. Sitting on 25 for Sheep. I will be 62 in Sept. wonder if I will ever get one. The only sure way is if I live like My Dad, He turns 98 in Sept.......BOB!