Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

Coues hunter or Coues Sniper?

Its the off season and quiet so I will try to juice a little discussion. So how you hunt is between you, the State Wildlife Regulators and whatever Moon Goddess/Earth Mother or Hunt Gods you ascribe to.

For my part I just happen to hunt on foot and cover a bit of ground over rugged remote country. Been at it that way coming up on 50 years. Carrying a carbon fiber stocked, skinny barrel'd 270 with nice little 3-9 scope. This is a sweet shooting rig, but being light on weight and optics power I am not sure how well I can reach out past 450 yards.

Most of my 500, 600, 1000 yard shots are on paper with a rifle twice the weight, twice the optic power and a 30MM scope tube. If I carried that thing up and over Coues Country I could only cover half as much ground as I would like.

I just enjoy covering more ground, exploring to a degree and making several different stands a day. Also get a sense of accomplishment coming up with a bucks within 400 yards or less.

Unlimbering an 14lb F-class target rifle from an ATV to Snipe deer at longer ranges does not satisfy my itch to really hunt.

If your rifle weighs more than 10 LBS you might be sniping not hunting

if your rig sports 30MM tube you might be sniping not hunting

if your scope has exposed target turrets you might be sniping not hunting

Do we want to scour the countryside of mature prime breeding bucks because we can? Would it be more to the benefit of the herd and hunt quality if we dialed it back and kept things a little more "fair chase"?

Now before you take offense and light me up, please re-read first paragraph and the above paragraph.

<_< :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I guess I will start this potentially long thread. Just because my guns are more than 10 pounds, have 30 mm objective and have exposed turrets does NOT mean I am "sniping" or whatever that is supposed to be! We all enjoy hunting many different ways and methods.

These types of threads usually do more harm than good! I don't see why we continue to separate ourselves into multiple different teams when we should all be supporting the same team, Hunting and Conservation....

• Like 19

I guess I will start this potentially long thread. Just because my guns are more than 10 pounds, have 30 mm objective and have exposed turrets does NOT mean I am "sniping" or whatever that is supposed to be! We all enjoy hunting many different ways and methods.

These types of threads usually do more harm than good! I don't see why we continue to separate ourselves into multiple different teams when we should all be supporting the same team, Hunting and Conservation....

+1
  • Like 2

Too each their own. I would just as soon shoot a 80" buck as i would a 110" buck because i'm a meat hunter. They are both trophies in my eye's regardless of the distance.

• Like 7

Do both. Have a light weight mountain rifle. And a long range rig. Let the terrain dictate what rig you need.

I.e.

Have a spot in 32 that the canyons go straight down and straight up. Ranging from 375 to 500 across. There is no closing the distance. Although two ways you can be successful in this spot glass and shoot at 375 or hike around the back side shoot them at 200yds when they are coming back over to bed in shade. You have options.

Second scenario in 32 different terrain.

You can hike a long ridge line and glass north and south while ascending to the top. thick stuff at 200 yds max this can also produce the scenario of often bumping a buck while gaining elevation and if not completely spooked you can have a shot opportunity while he traverses the adjacent slope. or finding him before he sees you.

Coues sniper or coues hunter. The answer is yes. Learn to check both boxes.

• Like 1

You hunt by the legal methods which fulfill your desire for a successful hunt, just as most everyone else on this site hopefully does as well. Your methods are your methods, my methods are my methods, and as long as each of our methods are legal, then who cares what each of our methods are.

• Like 4

200 yards or a thousand. Both too far for my bow.

I don't think hunters should be overly concerned with the legal methods of other hunters.

I do think we should be concerned with being safe, being polite and courteous to others we meet while in the field especially non-hunters, and it should be high priority for us to stand up for other peoples' methods even if they're not our own. We're all under scrutiny from anit's & their propaganda machine, the last thing we need to do is pick each other apart over what is ultimately just personal preference.

• Like 7

Since when did tube diameter become an ethics issue? Sheesh. I agree with Casey. Dont feed the troll

• Like 6

Its the off season and quiet so I will try to juice a little discussion. So how you hunt is between you, the State Wildlife Regulators and whatever Moon Goddess/Earth Mother or Hunt Gods you ascribe to.

For my part I just happen to hunt on foot and cover a bit of ground over rugged remote country. Been at it that way coming up on 50 years. Carrying a carbon fiber stocked, skinny barrel'd 270 with nice little 3-9 scope. This is a sweet shooting rig, but being light on weight and optics power I am not sure how well I can reach out past 450 yards.

Most of my 500, 600, 1000 yard shots are on paper with a rifle twice the weight, twice the optic power and a 30MM scope tube. If I carried that thing up and over Coues Country I could only cover half as much ground as I would like.

I just enjoy covering more ground, exploring to a degree and making several different stands a day. Also get a sense of accomplishment coming up with a bucks within 400 yards or less.

Unlimbering an 14lb F-class target rifle from an ATV to Snipe deer at longer ranges does not satisfy my itch to really hunt.

If your rifle weighs more than 10 LBS you might be sniping not hunting

if your rig sports 30MM tube you might be sniping not hunting

if your scope has exposed target turrets you might be sniping not hunting

Do we want to scour the countryside of mature prime breeding bucks because we can? Would it be more to the benefit of the herd and hunt quality if we dialed it back and kept things a little more "fair chase"?

Now before you take offense and light me up, please re-read first paragraph and the above paragraph.

<_< :rolleyes:

Controversial. This guy will fit right in.

I spent over 15 years hunting 99% archery. I'm gonna try sniping. Because I can.

Ummmm. I'm in my mid 40s. Don't own a quad or ranger. Park my truck at the end of trail heads and hike my butt off over 3-5 hour just to get away from roads and other hunters. And I use a 12 plus pound Rifle w target turrets and 30mm scope and carry all my water and food for in for at least 3-4 days. I took the biggest buck of my life this year at 600 yards. It was an extreme challenge and lots of long range practice during the summer and tons of scouting. I covered tons of ground and glassed my tail off. I could of went with my 270 that weighs half the weight but didnt want to limit myself and wanted to keep my options open for a long range shot. Good topic

• Like 9