Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

Coues hunter or Coues Sniper?

As we get more efficient, more capable at killing prime breeding bucks (due in part to equipment that lets us kill at very long ranges) I ask myself, are we hurting future deer populations by leaving lesser bucks to do the breeding? Does any other hunter here give that a thought? Not challenging

your methods, just thinking how we hunt is changing and what if any impacts are there because of that?

Who says we are getting "more efficient" at killing due to the equipment? If one argues that our equipment is making us better at killing at longer distances, then that person must also accept that killing at longer distances is no longer an "ethics" question.

I would believe that the person who is capable and efficient at killing deer at longer distances is just as capable and efficient at killing them up close. The same would go in reverse. If you cannot hunt them up close it is extremely doubtful you would have the ability to shoot them at long distances EFFECTIVELY and EFFICIENTLY.

Good practice makes good hunters at any distance.

I gotta disagree there, there's a ton of people that shoot coues at long distances, I'd say a small percentage of those has what it takes (skill, dedication, time to invest) to take one with a bow. I suppose The argument could be made that they could become decent with a bow if they put in the same time they put in shooting long distance,but the shot is the easy part of bowhunting.

• Like 1

As we get more efficient, more capable at killing prime breeding bucks (due in part to equipment that lets us kill at very long ranges) I ask myself, are we hurting future deer populations by leaving lesser bucks to do the breeding? Does any other hunter here give that a thought? Not challenging

your methods, just thinking how we hunt is changing and what if any impacts are there because of that?

I could be wrong about this, but I do not believe the genes a buck passes on vary based on age. Ie if a small, young buck has great genes, he will pass those great genes on when breeding no matter his age.

However, this is based on logic to me, not fact based as I have not researched it.

• Like 1

Also there is this, "There's a ton of people that shoot at coues at long distances." I'd say a small percentage of those have what it takes (skill, dedication, time to invest) to take one with a gun." IMHO of course.

I could be wrong about this, but I do not believe the genes a buck passes on vary based on age. Ie if a small, young buck has great genes, he will pass those great genes on when breeding no matter his age.

However, this is based on logic to me, not fact based as I have not researched it.

Its that the mature, proven by time (older), stronger buck with better genes dominates his weaker peers and out breeds them. Younger bucks basically have to wait till they are old enough, strong enough to dominate in their turn. A certain number of prime bucks are required to ensure an area has enough coverage by breeders proven to be strong survivors. A little like a herd bull with elk. The herd bull holds a harem of maybe up to a dozen cows and keeps away all weaker bulls, weather to old to young or just not strong enough to take on the herd bull. Your point is a good one, with mostly good genetics at this time could take a while for weakness to creep in.

My son shot his first coues at 400 yds........

A spike.

He was 10 yrs old.

Did he do it by himself or use your skill and knowledge to assist? I would assume you helped him get there, find the deer, set up properly and take the shot. I would also assume either you or him spent time behind that scope of that particular rifle working up a load and sighting it in properly.

So my point stands. Good hunters(shooters) will be effective at any distance.

• Like 2

You are quite correct. The size of antlers are meaningless for breeding when it comes to age. Plus, the doe is responsible for 50% of the DNA that is passed on to the offspring.

Being a good shooter and being a good hunter are two very different things

Yes, you can be a good shooter without being a good hunter, but few good hunters are poor shooters.

This is shooting deer with rifles we are talking about. It has been done for a very long time with great success with much more limited weapons than we have now.

Lots of guys "hunt" that are poor hunters. Having a better rifle does little to change this fact.

• Like 2

Knuckleheads... A bunch of knuckleheads...

This was way to easy for this guy. Sets up a new profile to protect his prestigious internet persona and fires up all the monkeys with his 1st post. He sat his fat butt in a blind over a gut pile, with a cooler full of beer and a doobie, and waited for the yotes to come. He knew y'all better than you know yourselves.

This threat should be called, "Internet Sniping" instead... lol.

I feel like we are arguing the same point,but from a different angle! I have no problem with people who 'snipe', it's just not for me,a big part of why I hunt is for the challenge of getting close, and shooting something from so far that I could jump up and down or talk at full volume without any fear of spooking the animal just dosent appeal to me,that's all. I think shooting long range is a respectable accomplishment for sure. I know I don't have that skill set past maybe 500. But that style of hunting leaves way too much to be desired for me. Definitely have a much better chance at bigger bucks over time!

• Like 1

Is this thread just another to enlighten G$F to restrict us more and make new laws? WTH!

Like posting video of shooting a buck in the butt at 800 yards won't?