CatfishKev

Want to learn more about fishing

Yeah I figured that might be the case. First I'm wanting to learn trout but being green I don't even know what I don't know so I'm not sure what to ask. Thanks for the input. I'll give it some thought.

you can catch those stocker trout so easy on powerbait or small castmaster. i was at sunrise last weekend and caught limits of some nice sized rainbows. light line and light weight is usually about the only tricks to catching more than other people.
I cant seem to ever catch any trout.

you must be fishing where there is no trout.

Perhaps the light tackle is where im going wrong. Had 4 small hits on power bait yesterday and no fish. You guys ever use mouse tails? Saw some YouTube vids.

Yeah I figured that might be the case. First I'm wanting to learn trout but being green I don't even know what I don't know so I'm not sure what to ask. Thanks for the input. I'll give it some thought.

you can catch those stocker trout so easy on powerbait or small castmaster. i was at sunrise last weekend and caught limits of some nice sized rainbows. light line and light weight is usually about the only tricks to catching more than other people.

Is the light line the key to getting the small kastmasters out there? I have the stock line that came on the cheap reels. Probably 8 or 10 lb test.

For bait fishing trout, I've done well on a meal worm and a kernel of corn together on a treble hook. Crayfish will pull any worm under a rock if they get a chance so I used to check by lifting your rod tip up for slight resistance, sometimes they aren't a problem and sometimes you need a bobber or powerbait to stay off the bottom if you can't avoid them. Benefit of meal worm and corn to powerbait is catching Browns.

Inline spinners and kastmasters are good for casting. A swivel helps reduce with line twist. Also agree on light line and small tackle.

Do you connect the swivel right to the lure or have a leader? If so how long?

My top 8 must have artificial baits using a spinning rod in AZ

1 - crick hoppers

2 - in line spinners (rooster tail and Blue Fox Vibrex my preference)

3 - yo-zuri floating pin's minnow or something like it

4 - Rebel wee craws

5 - Super Duper

6 - Z ray

7 - Rapala countdowns

8 - Artificial flies behind bubble and leader

I would focus on spinning before investing in Fly Fishing IMO

SAVE THE POWER BAIT FOR THE KIDS

• Like 1

Is the light line the key to getting the small kastmasters out there? I have the stock line that came on the cheap reels. Probably 8 or 10 lb test.

For the castmasters Optimally have something like a medium or medium light action 7' rod and light line to really whip it out there. I like braid with a floro leader these days.

sometimes you have to let them take it a long time using powerbait or you pull it away from them

Are you intentionally letting them swallow it?

Inline spinners and kastmasters are good for casting. A swivel helps reduce with line twist. Also agree on light line and small tackle.

Personally, I don't like swivels. But when I use them they are as small as possible and connected to the spinner. I don't use them on spoons, instead giving plenty of time for the spoon/Kastmaster to unspin the line between each cast. Some spoons twist more than others.

For bait fishing trout, I've done well on a meal worm and a kernel of corn together on a treble hook. Crayfish will pull any worm under a rock if they get a chance so I used to check by lifting your rod tip up for slight resistance, sometimes they aren't a problem and sometimes you need a bobber or powerbait to stay off the bottom if you can't avoid them. Benefit of meal worm and corn to powerbait is catching Browns.

I use a swivel for the sake of not having to retie every 10 minutes as I change lures to see what they are biting. When I troll with crick hoppers I always use a swivel or they seem to twist the line.

A lot of good advice here. A hungry trout will eat just about anything, it's the picky times you have to be prepared for. Lots of fishing for bass, panfish, and catfish where I live but only winter stocking for trout. Escaping the heat and fishing in the cooler part of the state for trout is one of my absolute favorite things to do. I wish I could do it more often but I usually make at least one trip a year.

4-6 pound test is very helpful unless you are somewhere with heavy current. Then maybe 8. For the stocked trout throughout most of Arizona 4# test is plenty. Lightest weight possible to get your bait where it needs to be. Think split shot. Shouldn't take more than a couple unless it is really windy. One is usually plenty. I like to use a bobber when I think there are fish near the surface and just use weight when they are near the bottom. A nightcrawler or piece of one will catch just about any fish in North America. I usually start with that. A worm blower helps if you are fishing near the bottom. Presentation is what will help you get bit more. Can't just wad a piece of worm or worms on the hook like you would for panfish or catfish. Need to make it look alive as much as possible. There are some good diagrams on the net if you need a visual for how to hook your nightcrawler. When fishing from a boat or along a shoreline with plenty of room I also like a 7' ultralite set up. Along creeks I like the shorter rods. When fishing the creeks in the White Mountains I don't use any weight, just a piece of nightcrawler on a hook. When fishing at a place like Big Lake where you have a chance at a bigger fish, I like using a whole nightcrawler and really focus on a good presentation. Have a net if you want to keep and eat your fish. Those things can flop off a hook in no-time especially once you get them near the surface.

Good Luck and let us know, or better yet show us how it goes!