Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

Youth LH Rifle

So my daughter is 9 and is officially put in for elk. She has been shooting with a youth right handed .243 and enjoys shooting but I have a problem. She is left eye dominant and I have tried to use an eye patch to get her right eye stronger but she just isn't enjoying it so I have decided to keep her shooting in her natural position. I want her to have the proper equipment and have been looking into left handed youth rifles. So far the option I have found most appealing is the Remington 7mm-08. There doesn't seem to be many rifles out there for youth lefties. Any advice, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have 2 youth Remington 700 in 7mm-08. One for my wife (LH) and one for my daughter (RH). They are great rifles. I did swap the triggers out as I did with all my Remingtons after some of them were recalled. Actually gonna drop off my daughters to get a brake installed soon.

• Like 2

For what it's worth.

I'm left eye dominant but grew up shooting borrowed RH rifles. I prefer shooting RH rifles since it allows me to cycle a round while maintaining a trigger hold. If she has been shooting a RH rifle already and has no problem with cycling rounds let her shoot it as a lefty.

Lots of rifle stocks do not have a cheek rest so the rifle doesn't really have any negative toward lefty shooting other than the bolt.

Plus you can borrow her rifle!!!

• Like 1

I have 2 youth Remington 700 in 7mm-08. One for my wife (LH) and one for my daughter (RH). They are great rifles. I did swap the triggers out as I did with all my Remingtons after some of them were recalled. Actually gonna drop off my daughters to get a brake installed soon.

I know Remington had that issue for a while with the triggers. Good to hear they like the rifles!

For what it's worth.

I'm left eye dominant but grew up shooting borrowed RH rifles. I prefer shooting RH rifles since it allows me to cycle a round while maintaining a trigger hold. If she has been shooting a RH rifle already and has no problem with cycling rounds let her shoot it as a lefty.

Lots of rifle stocks do not have a cheek rest so the rifle doesn't really have any negative toward lefty shooting other than the bolt.

Plus you can borrow her rifle!!!

Appreciate the feedback! I actually have been torn on this concept. I have leaned towards the left handed rifle though for a couple reasons. 1, the motion to rack a new round after the first shot makes it a little harder to keep your targets point of reference. 2, I actually would prefer (her being a new shooter) to not have her finger on the trigger while chambering a new round just for safety reasons. I know it's probably minor things and I have heard that most left handed shooters do prefer the right handed rifles but I just want to put her in the best position to be safe and successful without developing any habits she may want to alter down the road. Going left handed might end up being the wrong decision but that's why I wanted to get more opinions and try to do the right thing. Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate it!

That sounds like a predicament! Is she right handed? And left eye dominate?

What I might try is borrowing a leftie rifle and let her try it to see if it's more comfortable for her to shoot and operate. If she's both left eye and left handed I would think that Jr lefty 7mm 08 might be a good way to go. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

This would be a really nice starter rifle, offered in left hand and 7mm-08:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-sps-compact

More affordable:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/AXISCompacyLH

Those are the only 2 options I have found available so far. I feel like Remington is the better rifle so that is the plan so far! Thanks for your time researching!

That sounds like a predicament! Is she right handed? And left eye dominate?

What I might try is borrowing a leftie rifle and let her try it to see if it's more comfortable for her to shoot and operate. If she's both left eye and left handed I would think that Jr lefty 7mm 08 might be a good way to go. Just my 2 cents

She is mostly right handed but when shooting she felt comfortable left handed and got very frustrated trying to shoot right handed.

Savage 110 with the new accustock comes in lefty and 7-08 and it can be adjusted to fit her as she grows.

• Like 1

God made her left eye dominant, she needs to shoot lefty. Look at ruger American in 6.5cm and 7mm08. Or savage FV12 in 6.5cm. Cables has a deal right now. Both rounds are plenty capable for elk.

• Like 1

I am a righty and left eye dominate and i shoot right. i made myself do it in the Army. It can be done. I can also shoot lefty, I see better but not as comfortable, still shoot pretty good groups. My wife is righty and left eye dominate and shoots left. I actually bought her a RH rifle but had to get her a LH for comfort. I tried the same with her bow and had to buy a LH bow because she couldnt use the RH one.

• Like 1

FWIW, I am a full blown lefty (not a leftist). I grew up shooting RH bolt guns. As LH bolt guns became more common and I had the financial ability, I acquired multiple LH bolt guns. To this day, in a rapid fire situation (did a lot of predator calling back in the day), I rotate the rifle away from my face to reach for the RH bolt which really slows down the cycle time as I have to then rotate the rifle back and snatch the LH bolt. The muscle memory I learned as a youth remains ingrained in my psyche to this day. My point is, she will do fine with whatever you provide for her.

• Like 2

If she's comfortable shooting lefty and left eye dominate I'd run with that. I know, as previous posters have commented that people can learn to shoot righty or lefty or upside down and backwards. ) of it was me in your situation and I had the finances I'd get what comes most natural to her to shoot. Good luck on the draw and the hunt.

• Like 1