Sign in to follow this  
Tres

Electric smoker

My wife and I have been tossing the idea around about buying a smoker. We are looking at a masterbuilt smoker.

Ill be honest I dont know sh!t about smoking food...grass maybe but not food. Do you all have any suggestions on where to start and what kind of smoker we should get?

Thanks

Depending on how much you want to spend, I have had an electric smoker for several years and thought there couldn’t be anything better. Especially for less than $200, I still have the electric one up north but recently bought a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker( similar to a Traeger) and am liking it. But it is in the $700 price range.

I have a masterbuilt as well, leave it outside in the ran and sun dont cover it 24/7 for the last 5 years never failed me

post-14908-0-39906900-1518898756_thumb.jpg

I have the analog Electric Masterbuilt Pro and results are inconsistent.

At 225 it has trouble producing smoke, at 275 it does better. Franklin BBQ cooks pretty much everything at 275 so if you like his method you should be fine, if you prefer 225 then you need to spend some money to get better temp control.

Thanks guys. I have a lot of learning to do with this.

Tres

there is no real learning. its stupidly simple.

you look up temp on internet and how they prep it , you toss in wood at bottom in pan turn on and forget it, every once in a while you toss in more wood. and when they say take out wrap with towel and put in cooler do it dont skip this step.

I always cook over night its done by 1pm-4:30pm

1st time we did it I got up at 6am started it went back to bed. at midnight it was finished we ate it the next day. Theres this thing called stall ( you will see it on the net from time to time)its real and it last up to 4 hours.

you have to go by temp NOT TIME if you dont have a digital meat thermometer buy one we have one in the master built but I bought another wireless one with 2 probes. it reads consistent with the master built.

we do pulled pork all the time best its the best we have had always tender and just like real pulled pork from places in kansas, texas etc etc not like the crap at most of these places in arizona. with the exception of the old "Love joys""

one thing you will find is your going to be making your own bbq sauce and rub cause store bought sucks. My kid makes the best it was here idea when she was 10 kinda her and my thing to do together.

I never cleaned mined mine, only the racks and grease trap as that way its seasoned. I leave the tar on the sides and window there. it adds alot of flavor

if you have dry meat put water in a pan at the bottom. the fattier the meat the better.

• Like 1

Thanks Delw! Ill try and let you guys know how I do once I get one.

I have a Bradley smoker. They use those wood pucks. I smoked quite a bit of meat in it. I pretty much stopped using it since I bought my pellet grill. I am happy to give my old Bradley away. It looks a little rough with the door a bit jacked up but it works. I live in West Chandler if anyone is interested in it.

I have a Cookshack. Top of the Line but also expensive. I love it. Max T is 300F so just smoking. Traegers can do grilling too.

Agree Cookshacks!

Heres a teaser from this last week from my pellet smoker. Definitely invest into a good remote thermometer.

Pork Butt

post-2686-0-96660200-1518925072_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-45829300-1518925016_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-37378300-1518925119_thumb.jpeg

Brisket

post-2686-0-74086200-1518925149_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-58834300-1518925173_thumb.jpeg

post-2686-0-21906500-1518925315_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1