Sign in to follow this  
azsugarbear

What Set-up for Triclawps?

I have a friend who can't shoot prone because of neck injury. He's looking at the triclawps as a shooting platform while sitting. Researching the tripods and heads that will support the weight of a heavy rifle (14 lbs) shows that the equipment weight itself will become a problem. What tripods and heads are you using with your triclawps and how heavy is your rifle?

I use a Slik 823 CF topped with a Vanguard PH-113V. I've used that setup several times with my Sendero 300 RUM which is pretty heavy. As long as I get the rifle centered and balanced in the Triclawps it does what it is meant to. I have lighter tripod setup, but this one isn't bad at all for the weight it will handle. I went this route over some other specifically for my Triclawps setup.

You might shoot Whtmtman a PM. He has a big Bogen or something he uses to lock down his triclawps. It looks atrociously heavy but if you already have a 14 lb rifle ... maybe you are tougher than me.

I might be wrong and probably am, but if memory serves, Wht_mtman uses a Manfrotto MVH502AH. Solid head, but it is pretty big. About the size of a softball.

I have a slik 500dx (excellent legs best bang for your buck) with a manfrotto 128 head on it, very stable and not too heavy either. we have shot with it close and far and in coues country where you cant find a flat spot it is needed to have one, I can think of lots of coues we have taken that wouldn't have been possible without that set up. we also shoot heavy rifles and it works great. when I come across some extra cash I will be getting another tripod in carbon like rossisliders

If I'm the hunter I usually don't pack my manfrotto with 701 head but if I'm helping someone out it is rock solid and not too much weight.

I use silk 500dx legs with a manfrotto mvh500ah head.

Its a solid set up but its on the heavy side. I also use a primos polecat on the rear of the rifle stock

I just started playing with a triclawps late last year. One setup I have tried is putting the triclawps on light tripod that is only rated to support 4.5 lbs, a Slik sprint mini II that I carry in a light pack to mount binos. I clamp the triclawps on the front end of the stock in a similar position to where a bi-pod would mount. The plan is to carry the lighter and more compact triclawps in place of a tall Harris bi-pod. Have not tried it on an actual hunt yet.

Manfrotto 190 legs with mvh500ah headpost-3803-0-75623200-1520313708_thumb.jpg

I use it directly to the tripod. No head attachment. Have the crank style adjustment so I can micro adjust height.

I just started playing with a triclawps late last year. One setup I have tried is putting the triclawps on light tripod that is only rated to support 4.5 lbs, a Slik sprint mini II that I carry in a light pack to mount binos. I clamp the triclawps on the front end of the stock in a similar position to where a bi-pod would mount. The plan is to carry the lighter and more compact triclawps in place of a tall Harris bi-pod. Have not tried it on an actual hunt yet.

Have you tried that setup on paper at distance yet? I always mount the triclawps as far back on the action as I can. I don't want any extra pressure causing any torquing or the stock to impact the barrel in any way. I would be nervous having it so far forward on the stock for that reason. It would be hard to make sure you have consistent pressure from use to use...and even shot to shot.