fatfootdoc

Dilemma, how would you deal with this??

So one of the guys who I hunt with is putting his kids in Hunter safety and wants to put his kids in with mine next year for a deer hunt. The problem is he is not really a serious hunter and is not that skilled(loud, noisy, does not sight his gun in year to year etc) now his oldest boy I would not trust with a pop gun much less a real one, so how in the world do I tell him his baby is ugly and make him like it? Or should I just wrap my kids in orange and hope for the best? I can see this kid looking at things through his scope to identify them :blink: just thought I would add that. What would you guys do in this situation?? ag

I think this is a the fork in the road for you guys... You don't want you kids to pick up bad habits. I am sure you are also going to feel alittle burned if you do all the scouting and he doesn't scout that much...

J-

I feel your pain, one of my best friends and hunting buddy is what I like to call a half-a$$ed hunter and I have to hunt with him on every hunt. I would just tell him to put his kids in separate to better the chances of getting drawn ;) If you guys get drawn for the same hunt, just let him take his kids out and you take yours. You guys don't have to actually HUNT together. Its a tough situation I know, but you don't want to ruin yours or your kids' experience or worse have your kids pick up any bad habits. Just my $.02

I feel your pain, one of my best friends and hunting buddy is what I like to call a half-a$$ed hunter and I have to hunt with him on every hunt. I would just tell him to put his kids in separate to better the chances of getting drawn ;) If you guys get drawn for the same hunt, just let him take his kids out and you take yours. You guys don't have to actually HUNT together. Its a tough situation I know, but you don't want to ruin yours or your kids' experience or worse have your kids pick up any bad habits. Just my $.02

Times 2

Easy--tell your friend to put in for a certain hunt and then you and your kids put in for any hunt but that hunt--he will never know and then you can take your kids and he can take his in another unit. Crappy thing to do but at least you won't have to stick him in the heart.

If it is truely a safty issue for your kids then all bets are off..... you can't take that kind of chance. However, if you can keep your kids safe and have a possitive impact on your buddies kids at the same time...... it would be a great service to the future generation of hunters. Maybe just be straight up and say, "Fine, but if that is what you want, then we are doing it my way." Be very "My way or the Highway" and if he balks then you have a way out...... just a thought..... Best of luck with that one!!

CnS

If it is truely a safty issue for your kids then all bets are off..... you can't take that kind of chance. However, if you can keep your kids safe and have a possitive impact on your buddies kids at the same time...... it would be a great service to the future generation of hunters. Maybe just be straight up and say, "Fine, but if that is what you want, then we are doing it my way." Be very "My way or the Highway" and if he balks then you have a way out...... just a thought..... Best of luck with that one!!

CnS

:mellow: Not bad ;) Is this Tina posting ;)

How about.... Young kids and first timer kids should apply by their self and for easy to draw tags so they have the best chance to draw! ;)

Or.... Oh man, I already applied :( ;)

Or, Just tell him that you don't want to do that. Don't overload it. It's hard enough to fill one kid tag by itself, not to mention 3 or 4 during a hunt!

Lance

A co-worker of my dads claimed his jeep was broke down and begged my dad to bring him along on our hunt.I did'nt care for the guy but wasn't going to let him ruin my hunt.This guy ended up shooting my 19 year old brother who is now a paraplegic.My 10 year old son now hunts with me and I wouldn't let any of these guys your talking about hunt with us.Choose your hunting partners carefully.

A co-worker of my dads claimed his jeep was broke down and begged my dad to bring him along on our hunt.I did'nt care for the guy but wasn't going to let him ruin my hunt.This guy ended up shooting my 19 year old brother who is now a paraplegic.My 10 year old son now hunts with me and I wouldn't let any of these guys your talking about hunt with us.Choose your hunting partners carefully.

dang........couldn't make that point any more clearer! Sorry to hear about your bro, that's a nightmare! I would definitely not worry about hurting anyones feelings on this one......safety is #1.

Think the point has already been made. Your kids and their safety is your number 1 priority and if the guy doesn't like it then too bad for him. Besides, your kids will probably be your new hunting buddies anyway so it doesn't really matter ;)

And Jeffd, sorry to hear about your brother. Did this happen last year around the Flagstaff area?

This accident happened in the Eastern Sierras of California in 1983.My brother has dealt with his injury very well.He still continues to hunt with a hadicap permit from his van and has taken mule deer and antelope in California.

Guys,

Thanks for all the ideas, you can bet I will use one of them. the only problem with separating in the units we hunt is he tends to always end up where I am anyway(reasoning is, he never sees deer when he is by himself and I always see deer!) and the canyons we hunt are not that big, at least the huntable portion.

Jeffd, that is exactly what I am afraid of happening to my kids with this kid! I am so sorry to hear about that.

This kid is belligerent at times and will not listen to a thing that you say and I know that I have a short fuse and will not tolerate that from my kids and I will not take it from him especially on a hunt when I am telling him things to help out and keep everybody else safe. I even thought about letting them put in with us and then hiding his bullets the night before the season, is that desperate or what!?? ag

I have a buddy who is also a goofball in the forest as well. He likes to hunt, but his skills are pretty bad. It's taken several years for me to seperate myself from him when it comes to hunting. I know what you're feeling and wouldn't want to ruin a friendship over it, but I would also want my kids to be safe! I would make up a lame excuse that this year you really want to spend some quality time with your boys and that you want to put in seperatly.

Doc,

Don't in any way endanger yourself, your kids or your buddy! However, maybe between now and then you can spend some quality time with him and his dad? Go with them (yes, both son and dad) to huntersafety and help reinforce what is taught. Go into the hills (at first without guns) and teach them to hunt. See how serious they can be about the learning process. If he doesn't show progress then all you have to say is ''look guys, how can I trust you guys around my family". If he is reasonable at all he'll see the writing on the wall, if not; well, he isn't someone you want around anyways. You have a chance to make a difference in his life and someone elses too. What happens if you just tell them no way, and he ends up hurting or killing someone? I know its not your responsibility but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try to teach him and he hurt someone.

Kevin