Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

2nd Amendment.....what is it?

I got to thinking after reading so much about the ideas regarding the school shootings.

What exactly does the 2nd amendment give me or provide for me?

And if the answer is the right to bear arms, have not my rights been violated as a teacher to not have a firearm as to protect me and my students in my classroom.

Right now the protocol is to lock and blockade your door and give students something to throw if the intruder should come through the blockaded door!

I have never felt comfortable with this proceedure and wondered why can't I have a firearm in that situation if that intruder should come through?

My right to bear arms and protect myself and my students have been violated!!!

• Like 2

At the risk of going down the rabbit hole..the second amendment says

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If you read the Federalist Papers you will see this amendment was specific to fielding a trained militia (as opposed to funding a professional army)

At the risk of going down the rabbit hole..the second amendment says

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If you read the Federalist Papers you will see this amendment was specific to fielding a trained militia (as opposed to funding a professional army)

The Supreme Court has ruled otherwise in two different cases within the last few years (District of Columbia vs. Heller and McDonald vs. City of Chicago). The second amendment guarantees that a citizen in good standing has the right to own and use firearms regardless of his or her military affiliation or experience or the lack thereof. The only restrictions permitted are related to the use of firearms in the commission of crimes.

I believe that teachers who are willing to train and periodically demonstrate proficiency with sidearms should be allowed to carry guns while they are at school. I know that teachers are dedicated to protecting their students and that they are not going to be hindered by protocols or restrictive policies when confronted by a homicidal maniac seeking to shoot students in their charge.

• Like 6

We as law-abiding gun-owning citizens are a militia. This fact was very clearly recognized by either a German or Japanese ( I can't remember which) General during the second World War. They made a statement that an invasion of America would be impossible. Their reasoning was something like this. If you did actually manage to break through the US Military and land troops on US soil you would now be confronted by a heavily-armed American public.

• Like 8

We as law-abiding gun-owning citizens are a militia. This fact was very clearly recognized by either a German or Japanese ( I can't remember which) General during the second World War. They made a statement that an invasion of America would be impossible. Their reasoning was something like this. If you did actually manage to break through the US Military and land troops on US soil you would now be confronted by a heavily-armed American public.

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is quoted as having said, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

• Like 3

This

Unless that well armed militia decided to rise up against the government abusing them. Then they would be called terrorists or extremists and be snuffed out at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

The framers of our constitution believed that citizens have the right to keep and bear arms. Furthermore, that right SHALL not be infringed. The purpose was twofold.

#1- Defend our country against foreign invaders.

#2- Should the need arise, the people would be armed and capable of standing up to a tyrannical government.

The anti 2nd amendment crowd often talk about the founding fathers & muskets. In 1776 the ultimate weapon of the state was a blackpowder cannon (I believe). Fast forward 200+ years, governments (both foreign an domestic) have nukes, nerve agents, bio weapons, tanks, apc's, armed drones, etc. In light of the advancement of weapons possessed by the governments of the world, I believe the 2nd amendment is more relevant than ever. A semiauto carbine is not much of a match for a helicopter gunship but it beats the heck out of a slingshot.

• Like 1

Obviously to have the second amendment the belief that an over-accumulation of power was detrimental to true liberty and freedom and the people would/might one day have to stand up to their government.

I believe the founders would be appalled at the size and scope of our governments duties. They would probably be ashamed that we let it get this way and wasted what so many put their lives and fortunes on the line for.

I'm not sure any nation can go on forever as the world superpower and be truly free. The cycle of growth and globalization leads to a necesitty of centralised power when most people would gladly give away liberties for comfort and security.

A nation strong enough to defend itself from other world powers is always going to try and exert it's control at home and abroad and when people are so willing to give away their independence and responsibility for government handouts the dye is cast.

People call you crazy for even implying that our government would ever become tyrannical and that we would have to stand up to them but look at how many times this has happened in the world.

People would be happy for the government to take everyone's guns away but there might actually be a rebellion if you tried to take away all their I phones... sad

• Like 5

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto is quoted as having said, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
Thanks, that's the one I was trying to think of. Memory ain't what it used to be.

I believe (according to the 2nd amendment) that as a law abiding citizen I should be able to purchase any firearm or munition I wish. As long as I can pay for it....im a law abiding citizen (and withh modern times no signs of mental illness)...what reason does anyone have to tell me I can't have an Abrahams parked in my driveway. But that's not how it is. You have to prove that you're innocent and jump through hoops to get this (im fat now, I don't jump) i thought it was supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.