Sign in to follow this  
Big or Bust

Ali's pig

quVVdxf.jpg

She's perfect on opening morning pigs...

220 yards. 7-08, 140 E-tip, dead with cactus in mouth....

• Like 15

Great job!! How do you like the e tips??

The E-Tips are the best copper bullet going IME. Small to big, pigs to elk Ali has slayed them all. 100 percent exits, great wound cavity, critters dead very fast.....

Shot TSX and TTSX for a long while, these are better....

Congrats on keeping the streak alive. Great pig

The E-Tips are the best copper bullet going IME. Small to big, pigs to elk Ali has slayed them all. 100 percent exits, great wound cavity, critters dead very fast.....

In your opinion, what is it that makes them better? I'm a long time Barnes user myself, but I've thought about branching out.

In your opinion, what is it that makes them better? I'm a long time Barnes user myself, but I've thought about branching out.

I like a few things: bit better BC, better wound channels especially at moderate impact velocities (1900-2300), critters seem to simply bleed better (wound channel mentioned) but the biggest thing is that critters seem to not go far after the shot...

I've had pig and deer rodeos with lung shot critters and TTSX and no blood sign to follow. Found them all but gets you thinking. Most notably a pig at 100 yards with an 80 TTSX from a .243 at 3400+.

Bullets are weird, I've got good buds who swear by TTSX but I run from them. I will say to start at minimum working up. Pressure can come a bit early and sudden...

I gotta caveat this with IMO so folks don't get mad...grin...

I like a few things: bit better BC, better wound channels especially at moderate impact velocities (1900-2300), critters seem to simply bleed better (wound channel mentioned) but the biggest thing is that critters seem to not go far after the shot...

I've had pig and deer rodeos with lung shot critters and TTSX and no blood sign to follow. Found them all but gets you thinking. Most notably a pig at 100 yards with an 80 TTSX from a .243 at 3400+.

Bullets are weird, I've got good buds who swear by TTSX but I run from them.

I gotta caveat this with IMO so folks don't get mad...grin...

It's the moderate velocity cartridges that have me thinking about steering away from the TTSX. I feel good using it in 257 wby and 300WM, but when it comes to my 7mm08 I have been using the 145gr LRX, just to give me a little breathing room on expansion velocity. I still like them in 223 for pigs, but I have had good success using the 64gr Bonded Performance too...and now that Speer is going to make the .224 God Dot available to reloaders in several weight classes and Nosler is going to offer a 70gr Accubond, I'm tempted to come off of my lead free kick.

To help you a bit here's some more data. My wife shoots a 7-08 for everything. It's a very moderate load. A 140 E-tip at 2,680 MV. But it's very accurate.

She's taken three cow elk at distances between 200-375 yards if I recall correctly. Two dead on spot, one went 40 yards with a blind man blood trail. All exits. All lung shots with a bit of front shoulder as well....

• Like 1