Sign in to follow this  
Wnn135

Pig tags

Just wondering, who thinks they should stop giving out two pig tags a year? I havent seen as many pigs as in years past, seems like the population is declining a lot.

• Like 1

Speaking specifically to this year, I don't think lower number of pigs is the issue nearly as much as it being a very unusual weather year that has changed patterns.

• Like 3

Not me, population size is on the rise.

With the weather this year on HAM and rifle hunts all pigs were in the flats and not up on hillsides. Pigs were around, just very hard to find this year.

• Like 2

They only allow up to two tags because so many tags were going unused. Tag numbers are set based on biological standards. The total number of pigs that can be harvested in any given year does not change because the total number of tags that can be issued under the standards has not changed.

• Like 2

With the weather this year on HAM and rifle hunts all pigs were in the flats and not up on hillsides. Pigs were around, just very hard to find this year.

I feel the same, it was a lot tougher to find them this year but when I did the herd sizes were the same. They just flat were not hanging out where I usually find them.

I feel the same, it was a lot tougher to find them this year but when I did the herd sizes were the same. They just flat were not hanging out where I usually find them.

+2....weather plus the fact that the lack of rain meant that the feed was not as plentiful on the open slopes. They had to be down in the washes or out on the flats, so they were harder to see. We killed a couple of pigs that were way under-weight for their size. Some herds were probably travelling a lot farther than normal to find the calories they need.

They seemed to be near water and in the thick nasty stuff. Not much movement outside of that. It was really, really warm this year pretty much all winter long and didn't get any kind of cool down till just last week or so and that was short lived. I saw maybe one camp and maybe one other hunter out the entire time I went out and that was between the HAM and General hunt. Ask the warden or ranchers in your area if they think the numbers are down or if they think it was weather related. Hard to tell for sure just during a hunt but someone who is out year around would know.

Do they even do field surveys on pigs?

Not sure if they specifically do pig surveys but I would guess when they're up in the air doing other surveys they keep track of all big game observed.