bowsniper

New AZGF rule (proposed, which means it’s a done deal) about game cameras:

I'm all for it.Won't affect my hunting one bit. I am old school and don't even own a computer.

Computer? How are you on this web site?

i'm on this site and don't own a computer.. all done from cell phone

• Like 1

It's always the guys that don't want to put in the time, money, effort, that it takes to run cams that say they're "all for it"

Using boots and binoculars takes a lot of time money and effort also.
  • Like 7

I'm all for it.Won't affect my hunting one bit. I am old school and don't even own a computer.

Computer? How are you on this web site?

i'm on this site and don't own a computer.. all done from cell phone

Your phone is a computer

• Like 1

How is this about revenue? I'm not saying I'm in favor of it but how does banning trail cameras make more money for GF? If your talking fines from the court, the court gets like 90% of the fine. If anything its potentially losing money as big money guys may not buy the tags for as much as normal. who knows, I guess we'll see.

It's always the guys that don't want to put in the time, money, effort, that it takes to run cams that say they're "all for it"

Using boots and binoculars takes a lot of time money and effort also.
Hahaha so you think if you run cams you don't need to also do those things? That's hilarious.

Yeah that's how cams work, when you find a deer it waits at the cam for weeks till hunting season and you can shoot it

• Like 4

How am I supposed to take you seriously when you're literally on the internet as we speak

CLEARLY It was a JOKE...

But for argument sake a person can easily access the internet without owning a computer.

Good thing the draw is coming earlier this year. Some of you guys are wound up a little tight....lol

• Like 2

Five years ago when they banned corn, lots of people on this website had the same apathetic attitude.

• Like 4

How is this about revenue? I'm not saying I'm in favor of it but how does banning trail cameras make more money for GF? If your talking fines from the court, the court gets like 90% of the fine. If anything its potentially losing money as big money guys may not buy the tags for as much as normal. who knows, I guess we'll see.

Lower success rates = more tags to sell = more revenue

• Like 1

How am I supposed to take you seriously when you're literally on the internet as we speak

CLEARLY It was a JOKE...

But for argument sake a person can easily access the internet without owning a computer.

Good thing the draw is coming earlier this year. Some of you guys are wound up a little tight....lol

Its 3 Days before they are supposed to start hitting cards so everyone is ancy as it is.

Now this news, so everyone that put in for units that they have never been to, May not being able to put cameras on water may be an issue... lol

Sure this topic will die off by Friday

i don't think cams have helped success any. Maybe the quality because guys hold out for the big one they saw, but they also hold out and get nothing trying for the bigger ones. But maybe there's empirical evidence saying other wise

• Like 2

Cams have helped success rates quite a bit. I know it has for me and guys i know. Lets say you are on an elk hunt and you know bulls are gonna hit water soon, you put cameras on 6 water holes and sit the 7th. The next day you look at the pictures and notice they are hitting tank 2, you then move your blind to tank 2 and start hunting tank 2. I know for elk this works pretty well, once they find a water source without pressure on it, they will continue to hit that source until something makes them change. Might not be clock work, but they will hit that tank again more than likely.

I used them on javelina in a metro unit and we were able to knock down some pigs. I put tons of miles on my boots, but never could find those little stinky basterds. After putting cameras in some of the washes, we were able to get a better idea of where they were traveling and changed out hunting plans accordingly.

• Like 1

Per the hunt guidelines, if hunt success rates go down, then tag numbers also go down. When success is high, they raise the tag numbers because it is an indication of abundance.

Per the hunt guidelines, if hunt success rates go down, then tag numbers also go down. When success is high, they raise the tag numbers because it is an indication of abundance.

Empirically that may be true when you don't change the hunting conditions (rules), and you compare apples to apples. But now, when you change the rules you can't make a valid comparison. I think most guys would agree that their cameras help improve success. Now, when you eliminate cameras, less success would lead to an increase in population, which would require more harvests to keep the population in balance. To increase the harvest without using cameras any more, would require an increase in tags, which produces more revenue.

They have done it before: a few years back, G&F reduced the bull rut archery tags, but then increased the November archery bull tags, 3 more tags for each rut tag that was eliminated. The November success rate is much lower, so they increased the tags AND the revenue.

Empirically that may be true when you don't change the hunting conditions (rules), and you compare apples to apples. But now, when you change the rules you can't make a valid comparison. I think most guys would agree that their cameras help improve success. Now, when you eliminate cameras, less success would lead to an increase in population, which would require more harvests to keep the population in balance. To increase the harvest without using cameras any more, would require an increase in tags, which produces more revenue.

They have done it before: a few years back, G&F reduced the bull rut archery tags, but then increased the November archery bull tags, 3 more tags for each rut tag that was eliminated. The November success rate is much lower, so they increased the tags AND the revenue.

I just don't see the rule amendment changing hunt success all that much. The guys who work hard with their cameras are still going to harvest--because they have the drive and the know-how to get it done. They also know how to place a camera more than 440 yards from a water and still get photos of the animals. On the other hand, the jackwads who put cameras on waters next to the road, don't know how to use the information they gather, and never go more than 100 yards from their truck or quad are not really benefiting from the cameras anyways.