Sign in to follow this  
Delw

Trophy hunter and longshooter?

"geeze guys you need to lighten up"

This is no laughing matter.

You clearly have not received death threats or had your child treated unfairly and insulted in front of her classmates by teachers simply because you kill animals.

It also is obvious you are unaware we are losing the war being waged against hunters and hunting by animal-rights groups looking for the slimmest excuse to shut us down.

I have spent a lifetime trying to protect the hunting legacy. Thoughtless, sophomoric humor, especially in tasteless photos, only confirms what I came to learn in more than six decades as someone known to the public to be a hunter: We can be our own worst enemy.

Bill Quimby

Susan

we can only be our own worst enemy because we let little things bother us and cower down when someone says something different..

I raise your death threats with being shot at by earth 1st in the early 80's while archery hunting in the north kaibab.

Actually most people have had threats including my self and my kid. why do you even give them the time of the day. but who cares about threats its just that a threat. and people are just talking out there butt.

My kid has my same attitude, she tells them to f-off both teachers and kids she hasnt be bothered about it since. 1st year high school was the worst, but she didnt back down like others do.

--------------

No one ever shot at me, but as someone who wrote two columns a week for nearly 30 years for Tucson's afternoon newspaper I received more than my share of death threats, and some were serious enough to report to the Pima County Sheriff's Office. The one that really got my attention had very little white on the sheet of paper still showing. Every conceivable spot (including large portions of the envelope) was covered with drawings of knives dripping blood, handguns blowing brains and gore out of heads, and people hanging, etc. (The anonymous sender had gone ballistic after reading the eulogy I wrote for taxidermist John Doyle.) The letter had been crumpled and stabbed countless times. The guy obviously was a lunatic, and he had included a snapshot of my wife and daughter getting into her car at our home. Their faces were scratched off the photo and scribbled all over the back of the print was "I know where you live." This was after years of our avoiding giving out our address and phone numbers.

We obviously disagree on how hunters and hunting should be portrayed to the public. An in-your-face, F-U attitude only helps nudge the non-committed over to the side of the animal-rights freaks.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

Yeah those kinda threats would probably get some attention. that sounds like a earth 1st tactic they are a pretty crazy bunch and thrived in tucson way back when. heck they were busted behind the whitetanks back in the 90s trying to cut power transmission poles with a cutting torch. when the deputy that called in for back up got to there suburban they have live grenades in it and a few weapons

Defiantly we will disagree on whats funny and whats not, my fu attitude has worked for me for alot of years so I will stick with it. ;)

Keep appeasing the left that works well

The problem is not about lefties or radical anti's. It's about hikers, mountain bikers, car-campers, joggers, and many other people that don't even use the forest, but are voters. I don't remember the exact numbers, but only something like 5-10% of people hunt and only around 5%-10% are firmly against hunting. The 80% in the middle can swing either way.

A lot of people mistakenly believe we have some God given right to hunt. Not so, at least not in Az (some states do have the right to hunt as part of their state constitutions, but when it was tried here the voters shot it down). We have the privilege to hunt as long as the state allows it. This privilege can be revoked in a single election cycle theoretically. It won't happen like that, but they're already chipping away a piece at a time. Bear baiting in dozens of states, lion hunting in Cali., the new cat prop that's coming up here in Az, etc.

Most of these people believe that meat grows on trees some where and killing cute animals is a barbaric past time that is not necessary for them to enjoy a hamburger. Stupid and counter intuitive as it sounds, there's a ton of people that eat meat who will readily vote against hunting. PETA & the Humane society will get them to vote in favor of not killing "non food" animals like cats, bears, raccoons, foxes, etc. We all know that people eat lions & bears, but they're not generally seen as food by non-hunters, and most non hunters don't like killing for sport. Heck, I'm a hunter and I won't kill anything that I won't eat.

We're all big boys and all entitled to our own opinions, but we should at least think about the consequences of our actions in a social media world where an "offensive" picture can go viral in a matter of hours and stir up a frenzy of negative publicity.

• Like 3

Not all of them. I’ve had good luck chatting with hikers and backpackers. Recently had a little old lady with a fanny pack, walking stick and a pistol on her hip point me and my buddy to a couple great looking deer spots up around Prescott.

• Like 1

Keep appeasing the left that works well

We're all big boys and all entitled to our own opinions, but we should at least think about the consequences of our actions in a social media world where an "offensive" picture can go viral in a matter of hours and stir up a frenzy of negative publicity.

exactly.

Screw what those people think they don't care if it's a classy pic they still hate you and use it as propaganda. I'm glad they're mad

True, when speaking about the extreme people. But that's not what most of us are worried about. Like it or not it's the people on the fence that somewhat need to be catered too. Those are the people that can make her break hunting on a vote basis. So why try and spit in their face instead of show some respect. That's short-sighted vision.

I'm sure you've seen the pic of the fox looking through the scope with rabbits laying next to it. I don't remember anyone bitching about that. One of my favorites is a fish with a cigarette in its mouth, cracks me up.

Let's see how the HSUS ballot initiative fares. I'm predicting Arizonans will overwhelmingly vote to protect mountain lions and bobcats from crude and uncaring hunters.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

Let's see how the HSUS ballot initiative fares. I'm predicting Arizonans will overwhelmingly vote to protect mountain lions and bobcats from crude and uncaring hunters.

Bill Quimby

Like how Obama banned African imports because of guys shooting lions

Cant we all just get along?

Bill, I have to agree with you on how HSUS ballot fares.

Unfortunately the majority of the citizens in Arizona are starting to lean more to the left.

respect for what you just killed bambi do you really thinks thats going to make a difference?

Im not on social media never have been never will be ( ie twatter Fagbook), thats for sissy's and susans or those who are trying to pimp here shoot...

any hunter who used twatter or fag book deserves what they get. I always crack up when someone says man I got beat up by the people on fagbook for posting a picture of my deer.... Well duh! thats the only use for those social medias is for people who get outraged about everything its the New American way.

Whats sad is now we have hunters that feel they need to be PC because other people might get there feelings hurt posting on hunting forums,. Ive seen hunting forums over the years where you will get banned for saying I killed a ....., showing blood in picture(ie must be cleaned up before posting pic, mouth must be shot basically the animal must look life like.

but then they got the predator sections where no one cares whats posted.stripped tails missing ear, ballistic jelly, head shots etc etc whats the difference.

Some of the responses from hunters trying to justify killing a deer or elk cracks me up. they usually start with "well were managing the herd to keep them in check, or "were keep them from damaging ranchers / farm land " most sorry butt excuess's I have ever heard. why cant hunters be honest from the get go, instead of sugar coating everything

I like the meat

Because I legally can.

I like to kill animals

Bill Quimby

and your going to blame that on what like the pictures shown above? Pictures like that have nothing to do with getting hunting banned. idiots who dont like guns, hunting fishing does.