Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Everybody is Successful

While I agree with their sentiment about what makes a hunt successful, I am a little perplexed and annoyed that they felt the need to take the time to discuss and redefine this. I'd think they would have better things to spend their time on, but I guess we live in a PC world where all that really seems to matter is EVERYONE'S feelings.

On board 100%. I've always taught my kids that success isn't always about wrapping a tag. I teach them that because its how I was raised by my dad. It goes with the old adage of "A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day of work." I don't give congratulations for failures, either, but I also believe everyone should define their own success. Having said that, I really don't see the need to put that in writing and solidify it when there are much bigger issued the commission could be focusing on.

• Like 3

That's grandpa's definition, I like brown on the ground, that's successful.. Tag numbers in 22 will go up again

My question goes to the "harvest" ratio. They used to call it "success" rate so...if we are all "successful" (100%) whether we harvest or not, how to they know how many tags to issue the following year?

My question goes to the "harvest" ratio. They used to call it "success" rate so...if we are all "successful" (100%) whether we harvest or not, how to they know how many tags to issue the following year?

Now try to fill out that hunter survey :ph34r:

Now try to fill out that hunter survey :ph34r:

First question will be: "What pronoun do you identify as?"

While I agree with their sentiment about what makes a hunt successful, I am a little perplexed and annoyed that they felt the need to take the time to discuss and redefine this. I'd think they would have better things to spend their time on, but I guess we live in a PC world where all that really seems to matter is EVERYONE'S feelings.

On board 100%. I've always taught my kids that success isn't always about wrapping a tag. I teach them that because its how I was raised by my dad. It goes with the old adage of "A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day of work." I don't give congratulations for failures, either, but I also believe everyone should define their own success. Having said that, I really don't see the need to put that in writing and solidify it when there are much bigger issued the commission could be focusing on.

As I matured as a hunter I began to realize that hunts where I failed to tag an animal gave me a greater appreciation hunts where I succeeded in tagging an animal. How can you truly appreciate success if you have not also experienced failure? I have learned to enjoy my hunts whether I tag an animal or not. Success is success and failure is failure, call them what they are. Each is a part of life and a part of learning.

• Like 3

As I matured as a hunter I began to realize that hunts where I failed to tag an animal gave me a greater appreciation hunts where I succeeded in tagging an animal. How can you truly appreciate success if you have not also experienced failure? I have learned to enjoy my hunts whether I tag an animal or not. Success is success and failure is failure, call them what they are. Each is a part of life and a part of learning.

One of my all time favorite quotes is from Kevin Cameron, author of the book Sportbike Performance Handbook. He wrote "If an engine builder is head & shoulders above the competition, it's because he's standing on a pile of broken parts."

We all need to fall down, get our butts kicked and blow some **** up before we can be any good at anything. Failing is what teaches perseverance, and the dislike of failure it was teaches resourcefulness and inspires creativity. Take failure out of the equation and you get.... well..... millenials. :rolleyes:

• Like 1