Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

How big is a big pronghorn

Depends how you look at it. One way is to use the Top 10 or 50 or 100 of each species registered in B&C.

Top 100 cut off for B&C:

Pronghorn - 89-4/8

Elk Typical - 390-3/8

Deer Typical - 199-5/8

• Like 2

At what point do they just look big and you know it's a shooter

Like sheep mass mass mass all the way up. But I personally don't mind a smaller scoring buck if he's tall but not as massive. The Grimmett videos are your best resource on how to learn the best ways to judge them.
  • Like 1

84" on up IMO. lots of goats seem to fall in the 77-82" range. In my experience, I tend to gravitate more toward length than mass, and that is opposite of what you want to do if you care about the actual score. I passed on a buck that scored 82" with my bow only to have another buddy kill him the next day. I wanted the one in my avatar more and he is shy of 80" but has 16" + horns with a better shape imo. The one that scored 82" had 14" horns but had ridiculous mass. Really comes down to preference and what you are trying to achieve.

• Like 4

Would definitely want a taller one over a shorter more massive one

You can't say that until you see a mass buck in the field. Found one today in 18a. Short but MASS...

• Like 1

I drew 18 a muzzy. Where's the short massive goat you found. Just kidding I'll find my own.

• Like 1

Would definitely want a taller one over a shorter more massive one

You can't say that until you see a mass buck in the field. Found one today in 18a. Short but MASS...
If he's massive right now he's gonna be a beast because they still have a lot of growing left to do.
  • Like 1