CouesPursuit

Heck Yea 2018 *New Huntress Update*

No elk or antelope tag here, just a ton of awesome I wanted to share with my friends here at CWT, starting with my best hunting partner Frank tagging out on a nice mule buck opening weekend with his kids and wife in tow.

post-3844-0-28656800-1520287254_thumb.jpg

Most of my trips were by myself and the critters around me, but his early success provided a great glassing partner and voice of support through some frustrating times. I gave up on my tree stands this year after getting tired of waiting for the action to come to me, and set my sights on any spot and stalk coues willing to take an arrow. As usual, lots of great things happened along the way.

My javelina tag was filled at the end of a long day of deer hunting. Without the need of a call, and with plenty of suspense as the herd came and went from 10 feet - 10 yards under and around the junipers, I waited for a good sized boar that needed my draw to change his course of interest, and I put an arrow front and center as he looped around back to the herd.

post-3844-0-98611600-1516078742_thumb.jpg

post-3844-0-88148500-1520287255_thumb.jpg

With one success out of the way, we kept on and made sure we capitalized on Drake's favorite part of January.

post-3844-0-19137200-1520287249_thumb.jpg

After many more cruising bucks and lonely does spotted, I had a day by myself that I'll never forget. I finally found a buck that wouldn't leave his doe's side, a great deep and unique fork with a manzanita-colored forehead. I stalked to 45 yards without an opportunity to get closer and the wait began for him to get up. 1 hour and 45 minutes later, a side by side with loud voices pulled up in the distance and he had enough. He rose, I drew, I released, and he jumped, far. I was left with a hand full of tail, and nothing else to show for the most ideal coues stalk I've ever had an opportunity on. The heartbreak was immediately overcome with a feeling of great success. I thought about it over and over again in my head, and I wouldn't have done a single thing different. That's just the way it goes.

post-3844-0-96800000-1520287252_thumb.jpg

January 31st and 5 days later, I found myself back out on the mountain with Frank and a fresh motivation to tag out. We started the day with "deer," "I got bucks," "more bucks," and "there is the buck from last Saturday!" None wanted to settle down with the does in the stalkable country just a few hundred yards in front of us. We moved a mile further along the hunting route, only to find more does and bucks segregated. We ended up getting a really good idea of where the bucks had bedded themselves so I moved in for the heck of it, only for them to get busted by a rummaging Coati I elected not shoot at 10 yards, based on how close I thought I was to the bucks. More defeat that was out of my hands.

Then, on my walk back to the area where it all began, I spotted another good fork that had just snuck into a tree line. As I moved to get the wind in my favor, a second deer rustled around at the base of a big dead oak. Although not much, I saw bone on his head and I moved in for a closer look. I weaseled my way under a big shady juniper and next to a prickly pear that put both of my last sightings into shooting range. 5 minutes later, the small buck walked along the tree line right towards me. His raised and lowered his head multiple times in confusion to the new object in his domain. He kept coming closer and ultimately, we were face to face with only a prickly pear between us. Seeing the wet of his nose, I drew from 5 feet away as his head went behind a pad, he quickly stared again. I waited for another pad to clear his vitals and his next step was one of his last.

post-3844-0-50893600-1520287251_thumb.jpg

This is the smallest buck I've taken but my motivation to do so was the biggest there is. I knew that going into this hunt, I would not have an August season this year, and who knew when after that. My wife and I have been blessed with greatest gift of all due in late August, and I couldn't be happier to miss the rest of this year's big game seasons. I've been waiting for this for a very long time, and I look forward to sharing our journey in the field together for years to come. As I've done with hunting and shooting, I may be asking for a lot of pointers along the way!

post-3844-0-39391100-1520287263_thumb.jpg

• Like 22

On 3/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, AzDiamondHeat said:

Congrats!! Buck or a doe?

I guess you or your wife didn't get the memo about NOT having kids during hunting season...

Hahaha we will find out in August!

Awesome write up brother ! Glad i got to be apart of another epic hunt with you. Congrtas to the next generation of Meyers to pound the mountains !

• Like 1

I enjoyed the stories and photos. Especially the ducks, eclipsed by the splendor of the sonogram!

• Like 1

Congrats buddy! You are one of the hardest hunting guys I've ever met. You are truly an Amazing hunter! Keep up the great work!!!!

I'm positive your going to be a Great dad!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Awesome!

Congrats on the new little critter coming along.

They are tons of fun and when they get older and start enjoying your hobbies too, its just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

It's such and amazing experience. You are gonna do great!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments and especially those words of support and encouragement.

Health is obviously #1 and the only thing truly important to me, but the little one coming out a week or so early would sure help my deer game in the coming years. ;)

• Like 3

What a great write-up and pictures. Congratulations on the success but most of all congratulations Shea to you and your wife. There is no doubt you both are going to be awesome parents. So happy for you both. :D

TJ

• Like 1