dustin25

Recurve advice

I wanted to ask for some advice about recurves. I want to pick up hunting coues with a recurve, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what bow would be a good starter bow. I'm limited in budget right now, but I'll save and get a better bow before January hopefully. I've done some early research,and I'm thinking I want to start with about a 35# bow until I wstablish good form,then move to 45-50# to hunt.does that sound right? Maybe a takedown bow where I can just get heavier limbs later? Any advice on a bow,or traditional recurve hunting would be much appreciated.thanks!

• Like 1

3riversarchery.com

Get a take down so you can swap out limbs. I have a 45# Samick Sage that shoots awesome. Very cheap entry level recurve that shoots great. I use it for targets and small game. I still use a compound for big game.

I also have a classic recurve for sale right now. Its a 1960s Damon Howatt super Diablo. Not a great beginners bow, but hunting with old bows is kind of cool if you can master them.

• Like 1

I went with the samick sage from 3 rivers for my starter recurve and I'm very happy with it. I don't have any other experience with other bows so I can't say how it stands up against others just that I'm happy with the purchase. The guys at 3 rivers are very helpful answering questions. I'm hoping to chase javalinas with it in January. I've found the recurve to be very fun to shoot but of course range isn't even close to what you can get with a compound. Good luck.

Cool thanks for all the advice so far! Sounds like I should look into a samick sage.im in Tucson,are any of the pse recurves worth taking a peek at? As far as hunting goes, I've killed a handful of coues with a compound,all under 40, a few from 14-25,so I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can get it done shooting instinctive with a recurve.

As far as figuring out what size bow I need, what is the best way to figure that out? I have about a 30.5-31" compound draw length and I've been told that means I should get a 64" recurve. Does that sound right? Thanks guys

I ended up ordering a Southwest archery Spyder xl, sounds like it's exactly a samick sage with a few upgrades and 64" length. Excited to shoot it. 140 bucks.Any suggestions on arrow selection? Do you guys shoot off the shelf?

Sun Devil Archery has some great trad gear and arrows......

Just kidding.

don;t skimp on the arrows. Get good quality HEAVY arrows and HEAVY points. I like the 4 fletch arrows for traditional.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Arrow size is determind by draw weight and drew length, makers have their own charts...

Shooting off the shelf you need to shoot feathers for best flight, you can get away with plastic vanes off the shelf, but they will effect arrow flight, with a rest plastic vanes or feathers. Rainy/wet weather will wreck your feathered arrows...

I shoot off the shelf with 5inch feathers, and also practice shooting plastic vanes off the shelf, arrow will hit different and alittle more noise then feathers, but it keeps you hunting in the rain with minimal changes...

The longer the bow, the more forgiving to shoot. get another bow string and shoot that one also, you will be setting this one aside in your hunting pack, incase you cut/damage og string, try to stay one string ahead, the strings will strech alittle over it's life...

Measure brace height,most start around 7inches, but maker will tell you what number to start, moving brace height effects point of impact/noise, any hand shock... (You can mark an arrow, so when you are hunting you can restring and check brace height in the field, using the arrow as a measuring tool)...

Try both shooting gloves and tabs(i have always shot bare fingered, no gear to lose but some people injure their fingers this way), and same dealy have two going at a time, incase of loss/damage...

A little work setting up pays in the future... Good Luck...

I am no beast and started with 55# bow, was comfortable from day one. Shot bare bow at range but used pins to hunt. Did some reading up on primitive archery and got sold on idea of 2 blade broad head 3/1 ratio and heavier not light arrows. At least thats what I came up with. After a couple of seasons of spot and stalk switched to true black powder/primitive muzzle loader.

• Like 1

I’m by no means an expert,but I have found several vintage recurves at swap meets for less than 30.00 dollars. You may want to consider getting one of those to start with. The one thing I discovered when hunting with a recurve is ‘flow’ matters more than anything. That is to say that let things form don’t force the situation. I’ve taken a Coues with my bow and this year I will try for an elk. Good luck close range hunting imo is one of the greatest accomplishments in hunting.

• Like 1

There have been some Bear brand and some Cabela's labeled recurves on Ebay lately for very good prices. A 1970 Bear in mint conditon 35# for $99 buy it now, for example. You might find a "better" bow for a lower price than a new "lesser" bow there.