Sign in to follow this  
elkster9

Looking to have Hard Start Kit Installed on AC Unit

Are there any CWT Members who work for an Air Conditioning Company and do side jobs. I'm looking to have hard start/kick start kit installed on our 2 AC Units as a preventive measure (they are 2 years old and were just serviced today) I'm looking for quotes. Let me know.

If you don't find anyone on here call Comfort Experts and ask for Ryan. Tell him Harley sent you.

Realistically though if you need a hard start kit, that is probably a bad sign and you need to get the equipment serviced, and possibly start planning on replacing it. Hard starts are often used to bandaid a compressor that is failing.

Change your capacitors at the same time.

Are there any CWT Members who work for an Air Conditioning Company and do side jobs. I'm looking to have hard start/kick start kit installed on our 2 AC Units as a preventive measure (they are 2 years old and were just serviced today) I'm looking for quotes. Let me know.

Mine is 18 years old and serviced once. 😬

Mine is 18 years old and serviced once.

Oh no....now you did it .
  • Like 3

Good luck getting new equipment to last like that...

What is a hard start? How's it work? I was just told my unit needs replaced..

My understanding is it is just replacing the start capacitor with a more powerful one, in laymans terms.

Maybe that's what went wrong with mine. I thought maybe a relay went bad. Makes some seriousnthumping noise.

A hard start is a secondary capacitor that gives your compressor a bigger shot of power at startup to help get it going. Usually that means your compressor isn't in great shape and they are trying to nurse it along for awhile.

Replace your units main capacitor at the same time you add the kit. If the old one is good but it on the shelf in the garage.

Your capacitor going out is one of the most common causes for an ac unit to not work. They are a $2-25 part normally depending on the size and type your machine uses.

• Like 1

Howdy:

I would not put a hard start kit on unless your compressor is having a hard time starting. Its not really a maintenance part and it will put a little extra wear and tear on the motor windings in the compressor.

My problem is more with the furnace trying to start up. Does a capacitor start the blower going or is it a relay? I can see what looks like a relay which is clicking in sync with the thumping

Hard start kits also decrease the start amps in a good compressor so they are supposed to help save some money, they are not just start capacitors they are also potemtial relays

I sure could go for a suck start right now , but the wife ain’t buying it . I’m no a/c guy but it sounds like a cap wired in series to the excisting starting cap , to give extra current to the compressor for start up ....