rossislider

Left Over Elk Tag List B.S.!!!

Anyone able to explain why there are left over tags for a lot of popular elk hunts, including hunts my kids had in their top two choices and didn't draw, but received bonus points? I don't get it. Maybe we gave AZGFD a little to much credit for this draw too soon.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/azgfd-portal-wordpress/azgfd.wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/08114932/leftovers-antElk.pdf

• Like 1

Did they apply in the same app?

Nope! Between my family and buddies I know of at least 10 different people who put in for those tags on single person apps and didn't draw. There is no way there could be left over tags for many of those hunts without a major screw up.

I am not a conspiracy theory guy, but here is a thought. I suspect a lot of people will apply for these "left-over" tags. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you still pay $13 a pop in application fees for left over tags, even if you aren't drawn? That ought to be a nice little chunk of money for AZGFD. I'm all for AZGFD getting funding, but not like this!

You would think AZGFD would have know they had a problem. Who knows what other errors occurred with the draw. They probably forgot to consider our points and limit the out of state hunters, haha.

I am not a conspiracy theory guy, but here is a thought. I suspect a lot of people will apply for these "left-over" tags. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you still pay $13 a pop in application fees for left over tags, even if you aren't drawn? That ought to be a nice little chunk of money for AZGFD. I'm all for AZGFD getting funding, but not like this!

Good one, who knows

No, they dont. When you apply for a leftover tag and are not successful they just send your envelope back return to sender without cashing the check.

• Like 3

Who in the G&F would risk criminal consequences and open the department up to a massive lawsuit so the department can have a few extra bucks. More likely another in the long list of G&F screw ups.

• Like 1

I posted this elsewhere. . .

Something doesnt smell right on the leftover list this year. Several of those hunts are regularly WAY over-subscribed.

4A Youth - Last year there were 600 applicants for 100 tags. Seems like way more of a shift than is reasonable. But maybe its a misprint and that is a youth Hopi tag.

Unit 1 Dec Cow hunts - Last year those hunts were over-subscribed by a combined quantity of 2,900 applicants.

This year, each hunt has one leftover.

Seems dang unlikely to have a swing in application patterns that big. I am wondering if perhaps there were rejected cards, that also had a second rejected card and no attempt to continue with the next applicant occurred.

Also seems statistically improbable that so many cow tags had this occur, particularly in close succession by hunt number.

Something here feels like a systemic or algorithmic failure.

• Like 2

No, they dont. When you apply for a leftover tag and are not successful they just send your envelope back return to sender without cashing the check.

Thanks for the clarification.

It doesn't make me any less annoyed with AZGFD. I believe that in most forums I am a big supporter of AZGFD. While that won't change, this aggravates me. Someone or someone's kid was next in line and should have gotten those tags.

• Like 1