rossislider

Left Over Elk Tag List B.S.!!!

So sounds like your kids didn't deserve the tags. They simply stopped trying to charge cards after the second guy got rejected. If that's the rule they had in place they did nothing wrong. I'd imagine in the next draws they will set it up to keep charging until the tag is given away. Now everyone go put your kids in for that coveted leftover cow tag. Gonna have worse odds than a sheep tag when its all said and done.

• Like 2

If you had listened to the commission meeting you would have been heartened by them patting themselves on the back on how fast they did the draw. One of the commission members hinted that fast is good but not at the expense of accuracy or fairness. You can only hope or talk to the commission.

The draw went as smooth as ever and everything was accurate. Just because you guys are trying to make it out to seem like something went wrong doesn't mean it did. I had nieces and nephews in for these same hunts and Noones upset about it. They followed their draw rules even if we don't agree with them.

• Like 1

Looks like the list is removed from their page and maybe they will be correcting it.

Bria

Why don't you like the Hopi tag allotment? It gives antelope hunters thousands of acres to hunt that other wise wouldn't be there.

So, does "John Q Public" get thousands of additional acres to hunt elk? If those are "extra" tags that wouldn't have been included otherwise, then I'm good with it.

Yes "John Q Public" does actually get thousands of additional acres to hunt elk because of the Hopi allotment. It is some of my favorite elk country to hunt

So sounds like your kids didn't deserve the tags. They simply stopped trying to charge cards after the second guy got rejected. If that's the rule they had in place they did nothing wrong. I'd imagine in the next draws they will set it up to keep charging until the tag is given away. Now everyone go put your kids in for that coveted leftover cow tag. Gonna have worse odds than a sheep tag when its all said and done.

I can certainly appreciate and agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I hope you are being sincere about the "coveted left over cow tag". Might not be a big deal to you, but to a young first time hunter (and many others) who have been waiting 10 years, it is the world. Not to mention that it is disrespectful to the animal to discount it like that.

• Like 2

I can certainly appreciate and agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I hope you are being sincere about the "coveted left over cow tag". Might not be a big deal to you, but to a young first time hunter (and many others) who have been waiting 10 years, it is the world. Not to mention that it is disrespectful to the animal to discount it like that.
Whoever these kids parents were should have taken the draw more seriously and had their cards ready to go if their kids were so excited to hunt. I'm also pretty sure the cow doesn't give a damm whether you call it a coveted cow or a ugly cow or stupid cow or whatever you please. It's a cow elk for crying out loud. No I wasn't being sincere about the coveted leftover cow tag. A kid is still gonna get to hunt it so hopefully they appreciate it and have a good time. It's like 5 tags of several thousand cow tags so 99.9999999% of the tags got given to who it was supposed to. The leftover tags obviously didn't get picked for you guys because you would have gotten the tag since your cards are good. Think of it this way the tag didn't go to someone that obviously didn't care enough to have their card ready to go. Now it will go to someone excited about it in the leftover draw. And they get to keep their points! Doesn't get better than that.
  • Like 1

Why don't you like the Hopi tag allotment? It gives antelope hunters thousands of acres to hunt that other wise wouldn't be there.

So, does "John Q Public" get thousands of additional acres to hunt elk? If those are "extra" tags that wouldn't have been included otherwise, then I'm good with it.

Yes "John Q Public" does actually get thousands of additional acres to hunt elk because of the Hopi allotment. It is some of my favorite elk country to hunt

Northern Pintail...your internet browser is probably the issue regarding not being able to use the "quote" buttons... try logging in with Firefox or perhaps Google Chrome.

Good to know regarding additional access, but allow me to play the "devil's advocate" here for a moment, if for no other reason you understand why I have felt the way I have.

Regarding Pintail's reference to 4BNorth, there is no 4B North general or archery hunt, only "Limited Opportunity 4B North tags. There is a "Limited Opportunity" 4A North Hopi Hunt where 25 tags are allotted to Hopi Hunters as well as an additional 25 tags available to anyone applying. Interestingly enough, only 6 Hopi Hunters applied for those 25 tags in 4A North. In 5A North there were 25 tags allotted to the same type of "Limited Opportunity" Hopi Hunt, but not one Hopi Hunter applied for those tags as apparently nobody wanted them! There were also 30 tags available in the 5B North "Limited Opportunity" Hopi Hunt, 24 of which were taken by Hopi Hunters. That's fine IMO.

Now, let's talk about the rest of the Hopi tags...

There were 54 rifle elk Hopi tags and 25 archery elk Hopi tags in units 4A, 5A, and 5B North, plus 1 any elk Champ Hopi tag in 4A this past draw. Keep in mind most of these tags are bull tags. Aside from the 11 Youth tags (all of them issued to Hopi Hunters), there is about a 3:1 ratio on bull to cow tags. That's a lot of general season/type tags that are only available to Hopi Hunters.

Of these 80 general and archery Hopi tags, 8 tags were left over, so 90% of these Hopi tags were issued to Hopi Hunters, and one of those 8 left over was the Champ tag.

Patrick, I have personally hunted a lot in units 4A and 5BN and never felt I needed (or wanted) access through Hopi lands to hunt north of the rim. Hunting the Flying M ranch was a good add in 5BN though! I'm glad to hear some at least find an advantage using that access, however I'm not convinced access for some is equivalent to 80 tags. Did you draw a tag this year? Do you see a lot of hunters using that access? Not being argumentative, but rather trying to find out as I actually don't know.

As I recall, there were also 15 antelope tags issued only to Hopi Hunters. Perhaps access for the antelope hunts is/would be most helpful, and perhaps "equivalent".

Per AZGFD website: The leftover tag list was inaccurate. The list is being corrected, and the new list will be posted as soon as it is available.

• Like 1

Per AZGFD website: The leftover tag list was inaccurate. The list is being corrected, and the new list will be posted as soon as it is available.

Ha easiest fix for them. Without any repurcussions.
  • Like 2

Just got back from G and F because I saw unit 9 early cow leftovers and I had that as my third choice.

I tell nice lady my story and nice lady says "oh yeah they told us they messed up the draw and are redrawing the leftovers" HUH ? Come on how hard can it really be? its 2018 <_<

Ha easiest fix for them. Without any repurcussions.

either that, or another "draw" occurring today! ;)

Whoever these kids parents were should have taken the draw more seriously and had their cards ready to go if their kids were so excited to hunt. I'm also pretty sure the cow doesn't give a damm whether you call it a coveted cow or a ugly cow or stupid cow or whatever you please. It's a cow elk for crying out loud. No I wasn't being sincere about the coveted leftover cow tag. A kid is still gonna get to hunt it so hopefully they appreciate it and have a good time. It's like 5 tags of several thousand cow tags so 99.9999999% of the tags got given to who it was supposed to. The leftover tags obviously didn't get picked for you guys because you would have gotten the tag since your cards are good. Think of it this way the tag didn't go to someone that obviously didn't care enough to have their card ready to go. Now it will go to someone excited about it in the leftover draw. And they get to keep their points! Doesn't get better than that.

I think we are light years from being on the same page with what we are talking about, but I do understand what you are saying.