MT_Sourdough

noisy in the woods today

I don't know what it means, but I was up in 8 today and the gobblers were going off. I am no expert, but if I were to guess, I'd say these warm temps are getting things fired up early. Man, they sound loud when the trees don't have leaves.

• Like 6

That's about the norm, G&F starts the season later in the spring so the hens can get bred. Turkeys around the country are getting fired up with some states getting ready to open the season.

• Like 1

it happened last year. warmer temps, sooner in the season kicked off the "romance" for the turkeys... by the time the hunts opened up, there wasn't any activity

Well, after two more visits it seems my report may be premature as it has been silent since.

I have turkey tracks all over the place, but no more sounding off. For whatever it's worth.

• Like 1

Well, like I said, I am no expert. I was just looking through some recent cam pics and the toms are with the hens and they are in in full strutt.

In 35A, we had gobblers gobbling and strutting in January, then not much in Feb or March, but the Toms were in separate flocks. Toms seem to be mixed with the hens now, but no gobbling or strutting.

• Like 1

we were up there today messing around. 2-4 inchs of snow and turkeys everywhere. 1st time I seen them in snow. we saw about 40-50 in one flock(we quit counting at 40 they were running across the road) and they were gobbling too.

most were jakes a few big bellied toms and hens.

pics are off daughters cell phone I forgot my good camera and my shotgun for yotes, She didnt forget hers or her 220swift. Guess I was pretty jazzed just taking a day off today 1st one since Christmas.

post-14908-0-94689200-1521432659_thumb.jpg

post-14908-0-20201400-1521432673_thumb.jpg

post-14908-0-82113600-1521432688_thumb.jpg

post-14908-0-73318300-1521432701_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Friend sent me pics from his campout in 20a this past weekend. He couldn't keep them out of his camp from what he told me. ha ha

My buddy who has an early 20A tag will be happy to hear this.

I heard a turkey gobbling at 4:30 in the afternoon yesterday in unit 7. You could also hear the hens calling with it. It was pretty cool.

• Like 1

So, I have a question.

Do turkeys tear into rotten logs in search of grubs. I am seeing plenty of rotten wood being ripped open. I have been assuming that this was bear sign, but I am not seeing any other bear sign with it. Could this be evidence of turkeys going after grubs?

So, I have a question.

Do turkeys tear into rotten logs in search of grubs. I am seeing plenty of rotten wood being ripped open. I have been assuming that this was bear sign, but I am not seeing any other bear sign with it. Could this be evidence of turkeys going after grubs?

I don't think they are so smart.

• Like 1