Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

Taylor Tasked With Defending Hunting For Debate @ High School

Please pick a few questions and feel free to answer a couple for her interviews. Pro Hunting side of a debate with a bunch of left-wing millennials. Answer one, answer 10, answer all 16. Whatever time you can spare will be appreciated.

Interview Questions:

1. What comes to mind when I say hunting?

2. Do you think there are good reasons to hunt? Why or why not?

3. How can hunting effect the environment and ecosystem?

4. How can animal populations be affected through hunting?

5. Can families be affected from hunting?

6. Could animals be damaged or benefit from hunting?

7. Could the wildlife conservation funds be raised and funded without hunters? How or how not?

8. Could buying meat from the supermarket be a substitute for hunting for meat?

9. Are there any long term effects that hunting can cause for years and generations to come?

10. What are your opinions on hunting animals that are not used for food, such as fur bearing or predatory animals?

11. What are your thoughts on importing exotic animals for the sole purpose of hunting?

12. What do you feel on the breeding of animals for trophy hunting?

13. As stated by Ashley Capps Hunting in Wildlife Population Control and Ethical Eating The animals live a completely natural life just as nature intended, and, according to hunters, generally die more quickly, and with less fear and pain, than they would experience with other predators How do you feel about this comment on hunting?

14. As stated by Ashley Capps Hunting in Wildlife Population Control and Ethical Eating Hunting animals for food is unnecessary, and, like farming animals, constitutes the infliction of violence and death on animals we have no need to harm at all How do you feel about this claim?

15. As stated by Ashley Capps Hunting in Wildlife Population Control and Ethical Eating American men do not hunt out of necessity; they typically do not hunt to protect people or animals, nor to keep themselves or their families from going hungry. Rather, they pursue hunting for its own sake, as a sport A close reading of the hunting literature, however, reveals that hunters eat the flesh of their kills as an ex post facto attempt at morally legitimating an activity they pursue for its own sake. The hunter often portrays himself as providing for his family through a successful kill and harvest. How do you feel about this comment?

16. Is there any other info you have or is there anything else you would like to add?

Good luck Taylor. Argue your points with science instead of emotions.

Watch that Steven Rinella clip where he talks to a vegan at his book signing. He had some great sound bits in there.

• Like 1

Good topic and Id love to try and answer all of them but typing on a phone sucks! Question 10, some people have used those as food for years and now the trend is leaning that direction cat meat is amazing! Coyote isnt a meat animal but some eat it (Id like to try it more after recent reading.) that question can go either way with non hunters.

• Like 1

#1 Quality time in the outdoors with friends and family. Some good exercise and great memories.

#3 For thousands of years humans were a major predator in whatever ecosystem they inhabited. There are are scientific studies that conclude that the removal of a main predator will result in an overpopulation of the prey species. They then run short of food and water causing a large die off. By raising their "game" in captivity at an ever increasing rate humans are removing themselves from the historic role as a primary predator.

#4 Populations can be maintained at a healthy level by controlling the human predator. The North American model has a proven track record of accomplishing this. We are also putting animals back into historic areas where they had been hunted to extinction long ago.

#5 Families who hunt together share a bonding experience of a basic human need of going out and obtaining food in the manner their ancestors did. If they are successful they are rewarded with a freezer full of meat and a lower grocery bill. If they fail they still have the experience and quality time together away from all the distractions of modern life. Their licence and tag fees go to support the wildlife they hunt. How many animal rights activists make donations to support wildlife?

#7 It would become a tax. Last I knew AZGFD received no tax dollars from state income or sales tax. Their funding comes from licence and tag fees along with what they get from Pittman-Robertson and possibly some lottery funds. How dose funding from animal watchers or animal rights activists compare to what is provided by hunters.

#8 Is it free range? What condition was the supermarket animal raised in compares to wow the wild game animal lives?

#14 We are going to kill and eat animals. If we do not hunt more animals will need to be raised and butchered to replace the loss of the meat obtained through hunting. Which life would you rather live as an animal, wild and free or on death row?

#15 Give me the choice of beef steak or an elk steak to eat and I will choose the elk. Give me the choice of a domestic chicken or a few quail and I will take the quail. It is my opinion that I often obtain a better quality product hunting than I do at the grocery store. For starters the hunted animal is organic free range. What exactly does the list of the artificial ingredients in much of the grocery store meat look like? What is the additional cost to obtain free range organic at the grocery store compared to the standard death row animal?

Well, I often struggle to hold my own on whatever pissing match of the week I get myself involved in on CWT. If I had the monumental task you face those are some of the thoughts I would research and try to expand on.

Hit hard with Science and facts but also let some emotion that reveals your love for the sport and the animals show.

Good luck Taylor.

• Like 1

#1 Quality time in the outdoors with friends and family. Some good exercise and great memories.

#3 For thousands of years humans were a major predator in whatever ecosystem they inhabited. There are are scientific studies that conclude that the removal of a main predator will result in an overpopulation of the prey species. They then run short of food and water causing a large die off. By raising their "game" in captivity at an ever increasing rate humans are removing themselves from the historic role as a primary predator.

#4 Populations can be maintained at a healthy level by controlling the human predator. The North American model has a proven track record of accomplishing this. We are also putting animals back into historic areas where they had been hunted to extinction long ago.

#5 Families who hunt together share a bonding experience of a basic human need of going out and obtaining food in the manner their ancestors did. If they are successful they are rewarded with a freezer full of meat and a lower grocery bill. If they fail they still have the experience and quality time together away from all the distractions of modern life. Their licence and tag fees go to support the wildlife they hunt. How many animal rights activists make donations to support wildlife?

#7 It would become a tax. Last I knew AZGFD received no tax dollars from state income or sales tax. Their funding comes from licence and tag fees along with what they get from Pittman-Robertson and possibly some lottery funds. How dose funding from animal watchers or animal rights activists compare to what is provided by hunters.

#8 Is it free range? What condition was the supermarket animal raised in compares to wow the wild game animal lives?

#14 We are going to kill and eat animals. If we do not hunt more animals will need to be raised and butchered to replace the loss of the meat obtained through hunting. Which life would you rather live as an animal, wild and free or on death row?

#15 Give me the choice of beef steak or an elk steak to eat and I will choose the elk. Give me the choice of a domestic chicken or a few quail and I will take the quail. It is my opinion that I often obtain a better quality product hunting than I do at the grocery store. For starters the hunted animal is organic free range. What exactly does the list of the artificial ingredients in much of the grocery store meat look like? What is the additional cost to obtain free range organic at the grocery store compared to the standard death row animal?

Well, I often struggle to hold my own on whatever pissing match of the week I get myself involved in on CWT. If I had the monumental task you face those are some of the thoughts I would research and try to expand on.

Hit hard with Science and facts but also let some emotion that reveals your love for the sport and the animals show.

Good luck Taylor.

Great post I can’t type that much ..... what he said !!!
  • Like 1

Ok my thoughts and I will let you apply them as appropriate.

First I hunt because I am drawn to the outdoors and the ritual of hunting bred in to my DNA.

Hunting is not a "sport" its a ritual to touch base with nature, our past and share the camaraderie of the hunt that is a born in to us over millennia.

Through hunting I have become in tune with the land the seasons the wildlife and how it all interacts. I am very sensitive to development and how it affects wildlife survival. Through hunting we learn these things and become impassioned educated conservationists.

Hunting conservationists are engaged aware and drive efforts to enhance habitat wildlife. Without hunters Wildlife Management Departments would wither away as politicians gutted their budgets for other programs that garner more votes.

Hunters & wildlife share a synergistic relationship. We hunt and take from the game herds but give back by making sure Game Departments monitor game populations and herd health.

All wildlife benefit from hunters conservation efforts. Habitat protected or enhanced benefits species beyond game species

As hunters we appreciate true wild lands, open lands and healthy wildlife habitats.

Do away with hunters and you lose the most engaged vocal dedicated supporters of wild lands and wild life.

First and foremost hunter/game relationship is synergistic. We take but give back to keep wildlife populations healthy.

Second its NOT a SPORT, its a ritual we live out because we are naturally and normally drawn to the chase and harvest.

Ramdon redundant, but useful I hope.

• Like 1

I remember the first time I read this about 5 or 6 years ago and it really struck a cord with me. While I think it speaks to many of the questions, I especially feel it applies to the first couple:

“While hunting, I’ve cried at the beauty of mountains covered in snow. I’ve learned to own up to my past mistakes, to admit them freely, and then to behave better the next time around. I’ve learned to see the earth as a thing that breathes and writhes and brings forth life. I see these revelations as a form of grace and art, as beautiful as the things we humans attempt to capture through music, dance, and poetry. And as I’ve become aware of this, it has become increasingly difficult for me to see hunting as altogether outside of civilization. Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as playing music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else. After all, the earliest forms of representational art reflect hunters and prey. While the arts were making us spiritually viable, hunting did the heavy lifting of not only keeping us alive, but inspiring us. To abhor hunting is to hate the place from which you came, which is akin to hating yourself in some distant, abstract way.” – Steven Rinella

• Like 2

Having used it above myself I have to agree that SPORT is a bad choice of words to describe hunting, especially in a debate with antis. The use of that word makes hunting come across a a game, something it is so much more than.

#6...yes animals are effected very negatively from the lack of human hunting (controlling species numbers in a scientific manner). Have you ever seen a herd die off from starvation or disease? it is not a pretty thing but it IS what happens if you just let nature control the ecosystem. It is sad and by far the worst way for an animal to die.

Natures cycle is For the deer or elk herd to multiply and mulitply, causing a need for more predators (wolves, coyotes, lions, etc), disease, and lack of food for the prey. The predators in response to the healthy amount of food (prey) continue to multiply until they have reduced prey numbers to a very low almost unsustainable number...the predators then die off from starvation. Animals benefit from hunting by being able to maintain healthy herds throughout and reduce the highs and lows if you were to tend it on a graph. Human controlled Hunting allows enough food/water for the animals to not worry about starvation or disease as we dont let the numbers get out of hand.

Humans have to have a place in the management of wildlife because we are the only predator on earth capable of managing any kind of balance. When this responsibility is left to nature there is no balance. Predator population will grow till they wipe out the prey then either move on , starve, or die of disease. I remember reading of the Walker party when they first moved into the Bradshaw's. They said the only wildlife that inhabited the area was Quail and Bobcats.

drop questions. they will get you into more trouble than its worth with antihunters

10. What are your opinions on hunting animals that are not used for food, such as fur bearing or predatory animals?

11. What are your thoughts on importing exotic animals for the sole purpose of hunting?

drop questions. they will get you into more trouble than its worth with antihunters

Avoiding those questions may not be an option. The format may require answering of all or randomly selected questions. Best to be prepared with an intelligent response for all the questions. Ironically, I believe those are 3 of the questions that I did not respond to above. They definitely have a high potential to blow up in your face.

High school is a funny thing, The kids are wacked and mostly anti-hunting believe it or not girls and boys alike. the boys were more sissy's than the girls.

My daughter did the same thing cause she was a hunting fool. I believe they write out there own questions(at least my daughter had to.) freshman and sophmore years and a few times she did it on her own. Shes pretty stubborn and likes to watch peoples negative reactions on everything.

after the project she got hammered pretty hard in her freshman year she just told them to f-off and stuck to her guns so to speak. now her anti hunting haters are some of her best friends. they come over to the house often and lives all the dead crap hanging on the walls.

making the transition for some kids from middle school the age of disney and my little pony era to high school and lets get real era is a drastic change for alot of kids mainly cause there finding out there parents are sissy and only care aboutthemselves, they found out they were missing alot by not asking there parents to go out doors in the early years. I have found most kids are enviuous of my kids when there in highschool cause we let them do cool crap. like we spend time with them, take them outdoors hunting fishing shooting etc.