Sign in to follow this  
Chris

No cams on water by G&F.....coming soon.

Guys, hunters are not the only people using trail cams. This rule discriminates against us, and in the long term won't reduce the number of cameras photographers and wildlife watchers are hanging at waterholes.

Bill Quimby

Seriously? You think bird watchers are hiking a mile or so in to put up cameras? I will bet you that 90% of all cams on waterholes are hunters.

Guys, hunters are not the only people using trail cams. This rule discriminates against us, and in the long term won't reduce the number of cameras photographers and wildlife watchers are hanging at waterholes.

Bill Quimby

I think it will. There's gonna be lots of John Wayne's out there ripping cams down. Maybe not in the off season but but I don't see any can making through deer and elk season.

I call your 90% and raise you 99% are hunters who put cameras out. I have only known a hand full of birders but everyone I can ever remember wanted to view or photograph in person.

Seriously? You think bird watchers are hiking a mile or so in to put up cameras? I will bet you that 90% of all cams on waterholes are hunters.

Yes. You obviously don't know really serious birdwatchers who drive and hike hundreds/thousands of miles just to put a checkmark next to a species name. They're just as obsessed with what they do as a Weatherby Award candidate is about collecting species they've not yet hunted.

If a certain bird on someone's "life list" has been reported in the area, birdwatchers will walk as far as needed to hang a camera and get the photo.

Same with serious amateur wildlife photographers. They're not interested much in big elk or deer, but let someone tell them wolves and bears are using a certain waterhole and they're going there.

Of my neighbors in Greer, only two hunt, but just guessing I would say more than half are using trail cameras. Don't underestimate retirees when they find a new hobby.

You are correct about the 90%, though ... for now. (It may even be higher than that, but that is going to change.)

The point is, percentages should have nothing to do with this rule. Why would others be allowed to hang as many cameras as they want year around, anywhere they want, when we hunters cannot?

That's called discrimination.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Anyway g&f writes the rule, if it's just excluding one group or all won't matter, all cams would be getting ripped off trees. There won't be signs next to cams saying what they're used for, so if somebody sees a cam even if being used legally, it's still likely getting ripped off the tree.

Bill, you missed the point of the rules. They have no authority to ban anything other than what is used to take game. That means they make the rules for elk and deer and we have to obey the rules.

If the previous commentary is even remotely accurate, then I'm a birdwatcher, photographer, etc.... I'll keep them up all year and simply remove them immediately before the hunt. No cameras during the hunt....it's just photography and birdwatching until day #1 of the hunt. Good luck proving that one. This is stupid crap that cannot be enforced.

And another thing - Game and Fish can't do a dang thing if we aren't hunting or fishing. Game and Fish, right? If I'm geocaching, picture taking, tree hugging, or whatever activity I choose to do...with my camera, they can stick it, right up to the day of the hunt.

And another thing - Game and Fish can't do a dang thing if we aren't hunting or fishing. Game and Fish, right? If I'm geocaching, picture taking, tree hugging, or whatever activity I choose to do...with my camera, they can stick it, right up to the day of the hunt.

A hunting license in your pocket could be a factor.

• Like 1

Well maybe not birders, but the university of Arizona has hundreds of cams out on waterhole in southern AZ, also there are a bunch of other conservation groups who have cams out for the jags and other critters

All the comments about getting around the new law makes me laugh. So much whining it is honestly just funny. Guys openly talking about how they will get around the new law, like Game and Fish doesn't monitor these sites. If you get busted, they can and will use your words against you, Just some food for thought.