IAMMAC

Camp Navajo

The in person safety brief is tough not especially worthwhile. It does last 3-4 years don’t remember but makes it a little more worthwhile. 
Plenty of opportunity on Navajo but some nice bulls are around. A good mature 6x6 is not an unreal expectation 

Anyone hunting Camp Navajo this fall? I got super lucky and drew the only non-resident tag for the first archery hunt. My packet is submitted and should be authorized into the Limited Area; so hoping to see some nice bulls. But first time; so steep learning curve with only one weekend of scouting allowed, and not sure if I'll get to scout the Limited Area either.

• Like 3

Raven,

I drew a COW tag, hunt starts 11/11/22, planning to taking both rifle and bow as I should be able to get in to the LA; biggest issue right now is that I don't have the AZ field day certificate and classes are hard to get into. When is your hunt?

On 8/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, JakeUSMC said:

I contacted the Campsite and they said they let the hunters camp on a first come first serve basis. I am tent camping so they warned me about bears. Has anyone had this hunt and not stayed on the base? I do not think I will have access to the restricted area because I am not retired military, active, or reservist. I am a disabled vet and federal employee with an active security clearance though. I am going to ask when I take the in person safety course tomorrow in Phoenix. If I am unable to hunt the restricted area, I will gladly accept any advice. From looking at the tag allocation it appears I will have around 30 other hunters to compete with, both archery and rifle. 

This is from their web side:

Restricted Area (RA): The restricted area is governed by federal and state regulations and is strictly controlled. Current and former military, are the only hunters eligible to apply for access into the RA. Hunting in the RA is limited to archery only. This area may be closed to hunting due to mission requirements. The area is limited to ten hunts during each scheduled hunt. Refer to Section 3.d. on how to apply for access.

As a former Military you qualify for the restricted area(RA).

Any pointers for my 2022 Fall hunt (starts 11/11/22), it is COW hunt and will have access to the restricted area...anyone  else having the same hunting days willing to team up? I'll do it!!!

I think 22 hunters all together will be in Camp Navajo for that hunt/time frame. 

On 5/11/2022 at 3:37 PM, Raven81 said:

Anyone hunting Camp Navajo this fall? I got super lucky and drew the only non-resident tag for the first archery hunt. My packet is submitted and should be authorized into the Limited Area; so hoping to see some nice bulls. But first time; so steep learning curve with only one weekend of scouting allowed, and not sure if I'll get to scout the Limited Area either.

I will be there 16-22 September. Likely not until PM hunt 16 September.  I will be hunting the restricted area as well.  Wouldn't mind linking up with whoever at camp.  I have a general idea of where I want to start thanks to a guy in another form. Likely will stay at campsite given the proximity. 

3 hours ago, NAV said:

Any pointers for my 2022 Fall hunt (starts 11/11/22), it is COW hunt and will have access to the restricted area...anyone  else having the same hunting days willing to team up? I'll do it!!!

I think 22 hunters all together will be in Camp Navajo for that hunt/time frame. 

I'll definitely help you out once the dust settles on my archery hunts. Might need a reminder though. 

2 minutes ago, AntlerPiss said:

I'll definitely help you out once the dust settles on my archery hunts. Might need a reminder though. 

Sounds good.

I have not completed the Hunter's Ed Field day due to the lack of classes, is anyone on the same boat?

Does anyone knows if the Camp Navajo might waive the field day requirement since there is a backlog on field day classes? 

1 hour ago, NAV said:

I have not completed the Hunter's Ed Field day due to the lack of classes, is anyone on the same boat?

Does anyone knows if the Camp Navajo might waive the field day requirement since there is a backlog on field day classes? 

Have you looked into other states' online course?  New York gave my daughter a full hunters safety card for the online course.  Just might run into resident issues ( i was stationed there at the time).  That said, I haven't looked at other state online courses.  I'm kinda confused on the requirement in general, so its good enough to draw a tag, just not good enough to hunt on Camp Navajo?  With a supplemental in-person safety course?  Sounds like the gubment..

15 minutes ago, AntlerPiss said:

Have you looked into other states' online course?  New York gave my daughter a full hunters safety card for the online course.  Just might run into resident issues ( i was stationed there at the time).  That said, I haven't looked at other state online courses.  I'm kinda confused on the requirement in general, so its good enough to draw a tag, just not good enough to hunt on Camp Navajo?  With a supplemental in-person safety course?  Sounds like the gubment..

AntlerPiss,

So in a nutshell, you have to attend the Camp Navajos safety course and have complete Hunter's Ed with field day( if you don't have anyone/another state's Hunters ed.) just to gain access to Camp Navajo and hunt, I'm assuming you have Hunter's Ed for New York, which is great but without both of those requirements(hunters Ed and Camp Navajo's safety course) you can't get thru the door and on to the hunting grounds.

So yes, you can have a tag , but can't get in and hunt. 

For all CN hunters, see below email from the CN staff regarding LAST CHANCE TO COMPLETE THE CN HUNTER CLASS:

Hunters and Helpers,

AZTC Command Team has decided to conduct one last Hunter Safety Course on 01 SEP 2022 from 1600hrs to 1700hrs via Teams (Virtual-Link provided below). This will be the last opportunity for you to meet/fulfill the requirement to hunt on Camp Navajo. We previously provided 17 opportunities for you to attend this course so please take this opportunity to complete this requirement. If you do not attend and fail to complete this course, you will have NOT met the requirements (as outlined in the Arizona Training Center Range Standard Operating Procedures) to be allowed to hunt on Camp Navajo. AZTC will not accept any Exceptions to Policies for this requirement. Please use the link below and ensure you can access prior to the class start date/time.

We want you all to have a safe and successful hunt on CN and if you are fortunate enough to fill a tag come by Building 1 and show it off.  

Course will be recorded for accuracy of attendance.

Link for Course:

https://dod.teams.microsoft.us/l/meetup-join/19%3adod%3a51a401b335274aa98f27d84d3cad041f%40thread.tacv2/1661386404716?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22fae6d70f-954b-4811-92b6-0530d6f84c43%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22fb4ffc9b-d566-40d2-8d35-d89debf99db8%22%7d

Any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks,

CSM Jayson D. Matlock

AZTC Garrison CSM

Camp Navajo

Papago Military Reservation

Florence Military Reservation

Dept. of Emergency and Military Affairs

Phoenix                

Camp Navajo       928-773-3147

From: NG AZ AZARNG Mailbox MWR <ng.az.azarng.mbx.mwr@army.mil
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 5:18 PM
Cc: Matlock, Jayson D CSM USARMY NG AZARNG (USA) ) <daniel.a.schmidt.mil@army.mil>; Haro, Joseph A COL USARMY NG AZARNG (USA) <joseph.a.haro.mil@army.mil>
Subject: Camp Navajo Hunting Update 2022

Good Afternoon Tag Holder,

Camp Navajo is pushing out an update regarding 2022 hunting season. Be prepared to receive an email from the Garrison Command Sergeant Major for Arizona Training Center Camp Navajo with the update pertaining to tag holders’ of 2022 hunts.

Very Respectfully

SGT Rozum, Katherine

CN MWR Coordinator

CN DEERS/RAPIDS NCO

1 Hughes Ave

Bellemont, AZ 86015

O: 928-773-3124

C(W): 602-525-5692