IAMMAC

Camp Navajo

For those that have hunted Camp Navajo what are some of your suggestions for a successful hunt? I know the process and requirements to be able to hunt there, I have those covered so not asking about that. I have had a few tips from others on the board already but would like to hear as much as I can since you can only scout the week prior and I'll probably only be able to scout Wed/Thur before the hunt. Not interested in going into the restricted area since it is Archery only and I'd be going solo since my "hunting helpers" don't have the same credentials as me to be able to help out in there so we will be restricted to the Buffer Area. Been looking at google earth and starting to make a game plan but would like to hear from those that actually have boots on the ground experience. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Talk to the guards about where they are seeing elk. Depending on the hunt you have, and the hunt pressure the previous week, the elk can be anywhere and everywhere.

Either last year or the year before the NAD put archers and rifle hunters in the same area at the same time due to "activities" they said were going on reducing the overall area. It was a disaster for some archers (a friend of mine had an early archery tag). Rifle hunters fared better, and given you have a rifle tag even if that happened again, while you'd have 2X as many hunters in your "area" as you thought there would be, most would make it work.

At least you have a tag and therefore a "chance" at a good hunt.

I've hunted adjacent to the NAD for years in unit 8. If interested I'll share what I know... pm me.

To revive last year’s thread, wondering if anyone has anything to pass along on Camp Navajo elk this year. I drew a 4-10 Oct archery either sex tag. Not sure what to think based on mixed reviews but I’m happy to have a chance at least. I should not have a problem getting into the restricted area, clearance wise anyway. 

The elk are literally everywhere. The bull in my pic is from camp Navajo. Biggest thing is getting away from the crowds. I have the September rifle any elk tag this year again.

• Like 1

I got a cow on Saturday morning this past year.  Was looking for a bull on Friday and was going for anything after that.  There were a lot of hunters on the East side of the base so we went to the West side Saturday morning and was done in about three hours.  Tried for another tag this year but no luck.  Didn't run into any archery hunters on my hunt but scouting the few days before I ran into 2 of them on Thursday and they were not successful as of the time I saw them in the morning.

sitting a tank blind tillcheck the fence line crossings-  that will help a lot-  I quit trying  for the depot  as  my whole draw   would be limited  to lesst than 10 tags.

a lot depends on the base commander!!  he's the law - period !

there are a lot more and better roads  than when I hunted it  yrs. ago. 

tanks  are always  the  best places  for action. I wonder if any of my blinds  still around   lol'

great tags to have  - good luck   get a good map  to show updated roads  as it helps  when you are trying to get out after sitting a blind at a tank till after  dark -- the shortest  route  may not be the best.

the guards  may help with knowing  which restricted   fence lines crossings  are more active. ! 

good luck  - as for a diy hunter  staying in the barracks  for  15  a night  was AAWESOME

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, looking forward to it and I appreciate the tips. Has anybody been into the restricted area or have any experience with firearms pressure pushing animals into there?  According to the regs I am reading, with my archery tag and a clearance, I *should* be able to access it.  Just looking for any edge given that I will be competing with rifle hunters during my hunt.

unless things  changed  firearms  pressure will push the elk into res. area.

A big edge is hunting restricted area.     the herd  can grow to 800 plus  elk inside.

from barricks, you  hear  bulls  scream all night long   well into the mornings.

lots of  elk use to filter off the lookout  tower hill into  the edges of that big open meadow  of the gun range  while they  were  building it! fences always  torn  down on that  corner  -  lol

bottom line   your  crazy if  you have the clearance  and  don't  hunt  the  limited  restricted  area  !!!