IAMMAC

Camp Navajo

Understood, no firearms in the restricted area. My tag is archery only and the regs seem to indicate that firearms pressure in the buffer areas tends to concentrate animals into the restricted area. Just curious if anyone has any experience along those lines.

New to the forum and elk hunting and was just trying to learn from all the experience on here. Went to CN today and went and scouted the east buffer area. Located 2 cows but saw no bulls. I have a Oct 11-17 archery tag with clearance into the restricted area. Seeing if anyone could point me in the right direction. Anything help! Thanks 

People always ask for info for the depot.

You give the info and you never here a fockyou or a thankyou. So I'm out.

51 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

People always ask for info for the depot.

Depot.  Navajo Ordnance Depot.  mom and dad lived in Wherry Housing unit 2 from 1946 to 1950.   more than a few Depot stories.   many historic buildings destroyed during the oct 6, 2010 northern arizona tornado outbreak.

no elk info for you except that the commander can bar hunters from the post for little or no reason and has done it in the past.  good luck.

lee 

https://www.weather.gov/fgz/TornadoesOct2010

5 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

Depot.  Navajo Ordnance Depot.  mom and dad lived in Wherry Housing unit 2 from 1946 to 1950.   more than a few Depot stories.   many historic buildings destroyed during the oct 6, 2010 northern arizona tornado outbreak.

lee 

https://www.weather.gov/fgz/TornadoesOct2010

I hunted a muzzy cow hunt in there a day or two after those tornadoes.  Giant swaths of massive ponderosas layed out like match sticks.  Uprooted most of them.  Root balls were the size of a house.  Pretty cool.  Glad I wasn’t out there when it hit!

All,

I am proud to report that I killed my first elk on the morning of the 8th.  I managed to sneak an arrow into the lungs of a good (to me) 5pt at 40 yards on my 5th day of chasing herds around.  

Thank you all for the insight you provided.

I was vetted and able to hunt in the central “limited”/archery only area of the base and I believe that information I received rang true; that the elk utilize that as sanctuary from rifle hunters around the perimeter. From that first morning, I never left the limited area as I was tied up with herds every morning without fail.  Evenings were slower, but there were a lot of elk that called that roughly 10,000 acre central area home.  I never made it into the East or West buffer that encircle the limited area.

I killed my bull in “GSA 3” west of the security building and barracks, but was tied into bugling elk basically anywhere I went in the limited area including, south of the barracks where Volunteer wash and the dual rail lines intersect, south of Co Rd 526 and north of limited area gates 13 and 14.

I don’t know the count, but I believe success among tag holders here in the NAD for hunt time to be pretty good.  I know there were other kills, but I have no idea what the percentages are.  I know that I witnessed some full steam rut activity throughout, particularly so my last couple of days, 6-8 Oct.

Tro453, feel free to PM me for my phone # and I can answer any more specific questions you may have, but I agree that, at least during my time, there was no reason to venture out of the limited area.

Thanks again to all,

Hank

• Like 2

Can Veterans hunt Camp Navajo if they are not retired? I am a Veteran with a VA rating and I am a current DOD Federal Civilian. Do I qualify? 

Jake,

Anyone is eligible for the “Other” tags.  As for the Mil tags, I’m not sure if DoD civilians fall into that category per Camp Navajo guidelines or not.  I would recommend reaching out via the contact info on their website listed above.  They are not exactly prompt at replying to emails, but I was able to get most of my questions/issues addressed eventually either by phone or email.  Definitely get this question answered with certainty before you apply as they will only truly vet you AFTER you have drawn a tag and your funds are committed.  

I drew either the first or second archery military any elk tag this year. If anyone would be willing to share any pointers I would greatly appreciate it and would be happy to stay in touch. I have some experience in NM I’d be willing to exchange in return. 
thanks

Eric 

45 minutes ago, Brix8984 said:

I drew either the first or second archery military any elk tag this year. If anyone would be willing to share any pointers I would greatly appreciate it and would be happy to stay in touch. I have some experience in NM I’d be willing to exchange in return. 
thanks

Eric 

Eric,

I have hunted that tag plus or minus a week for the last 2 years.  Happy to share.  PM sent, drop me a line.

-Hank  

• Thanks 1